• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1961 D Jefferson Nickel
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Look what I came across. Highest grade known with full steps in an MS65 at 20k but what grade would this one grade at you think and what would it roughly be valued at?

IMG_6606.jpeg

IMG_6605.jpeg

Well just saying, do comparison on photo grade and you be the judge s as and let me know what grade it belongs in?

It is quite difficult to grade coins that are at or near uncirculated grades from any photos, even ones that are properly oriented and cropped, unlike those you posted. It requires in-person examination of the coin from various angles, with some magnification. Based on what I can see and over 50 years of experience, this 1961-D Jefferson nickel grades somewhere between AU 55 and MS 63. It obviously doesn't have "full steps". I see a number of abrasions, and the luster appears to be dull.  This month's Coin World lists this issue with retail values of 25 cents in AU 58, 30 cents in MS 60, and $1 in MS 63. I doubt that a dealer would want to buy it in any of these grades.  

On 3/5/2024 at 3:29 PM, VasquezJ said:

Has completely full luster and looks like it was ways never circulated. Maybe not quite a MS 70 but I think a grade right under that. 

If you know the grading standards for 69 and 70, then why are you asking anyone else for their opinion? Send it in so that it can get real quiet around here.

Just for fun, I think you should check and see how many circulation strike nickels have been graded MS 68, 69, and 70

On 3/5/2024 at 8:43 PM, VasquezJ said:

Supposedly highest grade known recorded has been a MS65

Well this 66 is mine

1961 D +.jpg

1961 D Reverse +.jpg

On 3/5/2024 at 8:59 PM, VasquezJ said:

I apologize but highest grade but MS65 FS

It's not very likely to find a FS in any of the 60's nickels.