• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Lincoln Penny Clipped Planchett
1 1

3 posts in this topic

I've seen several 1964 Lincoln Penny clipped planchett coins online.  Many are small clips as this coin.  Is this a legitimate clipped planchett?

LPE008 Comp.JPG

LPE008 Reverse Comp.JPG

I would say no, it was done after the cent left the mint.   
There is a buildup of copper around the edge that would not happen on a true clip.

I have to say this is not a true clip, but a coin made to look like an error coin. The "clip" is not truly round but a little jagged to me and also less of a round shape and more of a gradual arc. While there are curved clips and straight clips, this seems to be in between the two which would then mean it did not happen at the mint. I also agree with @Greenstang that it appears the metal was pushed inward when this "clip" was made. Being it is also a decent size, I do not see the Blakesley effect on the opposite side and while that effect might not happen on very small clips, on a true clip of this size would surely be showing that effect to some degree, and I just don't see it on this coin.