• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Morgan dollar kings 1893s 1895s 1895o value?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

F8A89F6F-79C2-42E9-B943-ACFBDB48E0A8.thumb.jpeg.c1314f9f8853291de200a173daf7abbc.jpegHi

Hope your well,

Found these Morgan dollars online all by the same seller, the 1893s has the lowest montage of 100,000 approx. And the 1895o and 1895s both were around 400,000 so very rare and sought after.

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/3333714-013/NGCDetails/ (Link to the ngc slabbed one)

Any idea what the value is in the condition they are?5FBA9A30-CE0E-4B5A-96AA-71320DE96391.jpeg.b17af5a6b81bf86e50cef9ad7258707d.jpegA859A1E0-3A96-4D79-9EFB-7508AA4126D6.jpeg.d95bcabedaea660b2af0b1866f3f4cc1.jpeg

Thanks 

Edited by Retromodo

Hello and welcome to the forum. I have looked at the coins you have posted. There are issues that stand out. The 1895 O and the 1895  S IMO are counterfeit coins. The coloring and mushy sloppy details are suspect. If you look closely at the stars on both the 1895 O and the 1895 S there are many that are badly misshaped. Also the dates font is incorrect on both coins. The 1895 S is the worst of the fakes due to the larger font as well as the obvious crazy  9.  This would not be the case on an authentic coin. The other I believe the graded one is authentic.

For the 1893-S Morgan go to the NGC certification verification page here ... https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/ ... which will have a guide price.  It's a Details coin, which is less desirable and not accounted for in the guide prices, so knock off about 1/4 to 1/3 the guide price for that.  But I would stay away from very low grade or impaired coins with Details grades like that as they dont look as nice and can be difficult to sell resulting in a significant loss.

For the 1895 coins go to CoinFacts and VAM World to find examples to get a grade and help authenticate them if you know how to do that.  They are more scarce than other issues, but not rare.  Critically, both of them look a little off so be very careful with raw coins like that.  Then you can go to the NGC pages on Morgan values here ... https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/united-states/dollars/49/ ... to find values and check auction prices.  Grading and Authentication of coins is an advanced area of coin collecting so if you are not very familiar with doing that stick with certified slabbed coins.

If you are newer to coin collecting why are you targeting such expensive coins?

There are no Morgan dollars that could legitimately be called "rare" by date and mint.  For the 1893-S, the NGC census shows a total of 8,056 grading events, 3,796 of which are coins with numerical grades and the remaining 4,260 of which are "details" graded due to impairments, such as the polished, VG Details coin you posted. The PCGS Population Report has 7,563 grading events for numerically graded 1893-S dollars and does not report coins that PCGS has "details" graded, of which there are no doubt several thousand additional grading events. Many other 1893-S Morgan dollars have been submitted to ANACS and other lower tier grading services, and genuine uncertified pieces still turn up.  Although some of the same coins have been submitted more than once, it is likely that well over 10,000 1893-S Morgan dollars exist in all grades. They are only rare in uncirculated grades. They and other "key date" Morgan dollars are expensive only because of heavy demand by date and mint collectors and the widespread, false belief that they are "rare" in an objective sense.

Mintage figures are mostly irrelevant for coins like Morgan dollars, of which large numbers of coins were melted without regard to date and mint. Under the Pittman Act of 1918 alone, over 270 million silver dollars were removed from the Treasury vaults and melted. As a result, some low mintage dates such as the 1899 (330,000) are common through mid-uncirculated grades, while the 1901 (6,962,000) is a scarcer issue in circulated grades and hard to find and very expensive in any uncirculated grade.

Due to the heavy demand and high prices for "key date" Morgan dollars, they are frequently faked by altering dates or mintmarks or making counterfeits.  The 1895-S in the album is clearly a fake and so identified instantly by the date elements, especially the "9", that do not match those of genuine coins. I cannot assess the authenticity of the 1895-O from the photos, but it has obviously been "cleaned" based on its unnatural color.

The 1893-S has been authenticated by NGC, but as an impaired coin would be discounted from list values and could be a hard coin to sell or get your money back. Based on its NGC photos, it has been heavily polished and is undesirable. See Verify NGC Certification | NGC (ngccoin.com). If you "must" have one, you might wait for a better one. I wouldn't want to offer anything near "Good" money for this one, $3,000 in Coin World and $4,000 in the NGC Price Guide. It might be reasonable at $1,500.  The 1895-O if genuine has VF details but would also have to be discounted due being "cleaned". I wouldn't make an offer due to its questionable authenticity.

I am ok. I hope you are well also.

The slabbed coin looks like the one in the verification, and does not appear that the slab was tampered with or the original coin removed. Being it is polished, I would say its value would likely drop to a maximum of the listed price for Poor or About Good, but being it is not even just a cleaning but a polishing which is an intentional alteration of the surface that it would drop down to likely somewhere between $1,000-$1,500.

The 1895 O and 1895 S are both counterfeit. The S is a terrible counterfeit with an unnatural color, and misshapen date numerals.

The O took me a little longer to look at but the lack of detail in the hair on the obverse and the lack of detail in the eagle's breast feathers on the reverse, are not commensurate with the detail of the rest of the coin. I would say this effect is because the fake dies used to strike the coin had a high relief (much like the 1921 Peace Dollar where the highest elements did not strike up well because the relief was too high), and that is not natural for Morgan dollars, even those from the New Orleans Mint which did not have the highest quality strikes in the series, but even so, the Morgans produced by the O mint definitely did not look like this. The eagle's breast on the reverse is literally flat. It also looks to be of an unnatural color as well.

Therefore the O and S have zero value.

Hope this helped.

Hi everyone,

Thanks all of you for the insightful information, I really appreciate it.

It was part of a big Morgan dollar collection but seeing that it has counterfeits I will give it a miss.