• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2000 D Quarter error on Obverse and Reverse
1 1

13 posts in this topic

HI Vasquez, - No, I don't think it is worth grading.  It looks to me to be purposely and severely scraped/scratched across the face.  I can't see the reverse side at the angle the photo was taken. 

Was not purposely done. Outside of rim is slick and as a matter of fact about a week ago I saw one exactly like this coin on EBay

Purposely or not, it doesn't matter, it is just damaged.  You can't go by what you see on ebay, there are thousands of damaged, fake, altered coins being sold on ebay as errors.

Also at first was thinking the same thing and wondering about the line that look like scratches but it really isn’t scratching. I was checking it out with my coin microscope and also the other coin I saw on eBay was exactly like this one. I guess if you were to see it in person you would notice that it was an error because everything looks as if the coin was supposed to have be done that way. Actually me and my brother were sorting out some coins and  I’m the one that came across it but didn’t even put it apart because at first just thought it was just a different design or something until my brother grab the coin and told me to take a second look at it and should consider having graded because he thought it was a nice error coin and got a better closer look at it and noticed it was an error coin but figured I’d mention it to you guys and see what you’d recommend first.

Whether to send it in to be attributed is your decision, but you will be throwing your money away.  I'm sure you'll be getting more opinions soon, but they will all be the same.

That quarter is known in numismatics as a "Parking Lot Coin" where it has been damaged from sliding around on asphalt pavement.  It's not an error.

On 3/5/2024 at 3:10 AM, VasquezJ said:

Actually me and my brother were sorting out some coins

Is Youngmoola your brother.  You two would be like two peas in a pod

On 3/5/2024 at 3:10 AM, VasquezJ said:

I guess if you were to see it in person you would notice that it was an error because everything looks as if the coin was supposed to have be done that way.

I don't need to see this coin in person to know it was NOT meant to be that way. The bust of George was purposely scraped off. Most likely by another one of the myriad of scammers out there who purposely damage coins and try to pass them off as error coins.

Please do not use eBay as a reference for such coins like this. I will tell you that I have reported hundreds of listings of scammers with junk just like this and looking to swindle $250 or $500 or even $2,000 out of some unsuspecting dupe. Sorry if I am coming off as harsh here but you really need to learn the basics of coins before declaring something like this to be a mint error.

If you still want to hold that this is an error coin and was struck to look like this, please go to the site error-ref.com and check through all the pages there and when you can provide a page from that site that shows an error coin struck this way, please come back to this thread and post that here and I will retract my statement.

On 3/5/2024 at 6:27 AM, cobymordet said:

Is Youngmoola your brother.  You two would be like two peas in a pod

Brothers from different mothers. lol