• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reholder Labels
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I am getting ready to submit a NGC certified coin for reholdering.  This coin is encased in a slab and contains a label that is signed by John Mercanti.  If I submit this coin to NGC for reholdering, will this label be included in the new slab?  I cannot afford to lose this label!  Are there any specific instructions I need to puton the submission forms.  Thanks 

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

See the third and fourth "Frequently Asked Questions" on the following page: NGC Grading FAQs - NGC Labels and Holders | NGC (ngccoin.com)It does not appear that you will be able to keep the current label if you reholder, but you may wish to contact NGC Customer Service (linked in the answer to the third question) or post this inquiry in the "Ask NGC/NCS" forum for an answer from the NGC staff.

Thanks Sandon!  Looks as if I'll contact Customer Service to get a their specific answer!  I've seen posts that go both ways!  

Just curious Chuck as to why you need to reholder a coin with a John Mercanti label. They don’t keep a stock of old labels around so I highly doubt you’ll be able to get a similar label or of course try to retain the old one.

Hi Mr Bill!  The obverse of the slab has some light imprint marks on the surface probably caused by how the coins were stored by the previous owner.    Before I try to take them on, I wanted to see if I could get it reholdered but use the same label!  Should I just leave it alone?  The marks are not overwhelming!

Hello and welcome to the forum!

You could try a product called Meguiars Plast-X. It is a plastic polish used typically on headlights on cars to remove scratches and adverse hazing on them. This product does work well, is simple to use, and you just need a couple clean towels and some elbow grease. You might be surprised to find out that it does work on the situation you are having before you need to resort to a reholdering.

Thanks for the info Powermad!  I've been reading posts in chatrooms about the PlastX with a lot of people having good results.  Also read about Slab Renew as a possibility but they are out of stock due to material shortages.  Before I do anything, I want to get a good clarification from NGC on whether they'll reholder a coin with the same label, not a replacement!  Just so we will know for the future!  Thanks

The only problem with the reholdering and getting the same label and why NGC (as far as I know) will not keep the same label is once that holder is reopened, the NGC guarantee at the time it was first graded is now null and void, and it is possible that going through the process of opening the slab and removing the coin that a nick or something could possibly occur to the coin, so once the holder is reopened, it is like the coin is a raw submission for the first time and the coin gets regraded before being reholdered, thus the new label. Also the original submission number is null and void and removed from the NGC files once the holder is reopened so that is a factor with using the old label too.

Let us know if you find out anything different or if I am wrong in my thinking (I thought this question was asked a while ago by another OP).

If that is the case, at least you have the PlastX as a backup plan.

As far as we are talking about labels, I try to keep in mind, that it is just that. A label. Nothing more. I don't buy coins with special labels and signatures as to me, the coin is the coin is the coin. MS 65 is MS 65 whether the President of the United States signed the label, or whether Angela Buchanan signed it. I also refuse to pay an extra premium for such special labels.

Edited by powermad5000

Powermad, you are probably right about the reholdering process, and if so, why would anyone just submit a slabbed coin for reholdering alone without regrading?  Or is there any such thing? I'll let you know what I find out from my NGC/NCS thread!  Thanks

I have a saying, ;) If it ain't broke don't fix it . I have to ask what is the coin and grade?

On 3/3/2024 at 9:36 PM, ChuckBuck said:

1995W, Silver Eagle, PF69!

No I would not send it in for a reholder ,just try to buff it out.

Thanks Powermad and JPM for your help in this matter.  All NGC said was that if I submitted the listed coin for reholdering, it would get a new standard label and the Mercanti label could not be used.  CCS then sent me to Modern Coin Mart as they are a Mercanti distributor/dealer to see if they would submit the slab for reholdering.  Anyway, I've decided to take your advice and try to buff out the imperfections.  It's been nice chatting with you all on this very informative and friendly forum.  Charlie