• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1776-1976 Bicentennial Quarter error??
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone, 

So I'm new to this forum and so here it goes... I'm. Not sure if I'm actually seeing a error on this coin or if I just need glasses lol. I received this Bicentennial Quarter in my change back at a gas station so I'm thinking one couldn't be lucky enough but maybe I am... So here is what I see and I will add pictures to show my findings if they are indeed actual findings. I see on the reverse side of the coin the drummer boy and there is 3 drum sticks. That's the first part of this. On the obverse side of the coin I see what looks to me like there was a nickel struck on the quarter as you can see the bands of a nickel and also the top of Jefferson's head or what I think is Jefferson's head. Then on Liberty the L and the I either seem to be double die or in fact just a split from what I think is a nickel struck on this quarter. Help is this I should be sending off to be further looked at or am I just seeing with a blurred vision. Thanks for any feedback you are awesome and so much appreciated !!!!! I am attaching pics of what I think is an error I know chances are I'm way off but that's why I'm here right? Then I am posting pictures without the arrows so you can get a better look at them again thank you....

IMG_20240228_175718658~2.jpg

IMG_20240228_175818619~2.jpg

IMG_20240228_175718658.jpg

IMG_20240228_175747889.jpg

IMG_20240228_175818619.jpg

IMG_20240228_175837754.jpg

IMG_20240228_173419457~3.jpg

IMG_20240228_181738972~3.jpg

IMG_20240228_175633591.jpg

IMG_20240228_175601792.jpg

IMG_20240228_175530939.jpg

IMG_20240228_181527703~2.jpg

Hello and welcome!

Appreciate the photos provided as they are sufficient enough to be able to provide answers! (thumbsu

On the obverse, the circular pattern you are seeing is damage from a coin roll wrapping machine. There are many coins of different denominations that have sustained this kind of damage. I don't see any doubling on the obverse, and I also do see some environmental damage evidenced by the pitting around George's face and head.

On the reverse, I see more of a stain than a third drumstick. There is damage to the area where you believe to be seeing letters A, S, and E. Damage can appear to look like many things and unless the coin was counterstamped with actual letters, you may be letting your mind see things that are just damage. The "blobs" appear to be some die chips that just happen to be on the eyeballs of the drummer. What appears to be a "hand" is actually just part of the design and is how the designer shaped the hair on the drummers head. I also note some good hits to the reverse as well as once again environmental damage which is scattered across the surface and concentrated in an area near the drummers right hand.

Nothing on this coin makes it worth it being sent off for further evaluation.

I will let the other members here enter their opinions on this as well, as my answer is just one opinion of many.

A damaged and circulated coin with no collector value.

It's amazing how many bicentennial quarters are still out in circulation, or keep getting put into circulation, never gets old finding one of these out in the wild. 

Welcome to the forum. 

On 2/29/2024 at 6:46 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

It's amazing how many bicentennial quarters are still out in circulation, or keep getting put into circulation,

Thats because I through all my quarters back into the wild to recycle. :roflmao: 

Welcome Michelle! The quarter you displayed is a normal bi-cen quarter but with some damage and a few minor blobs along with a common circle from a coin rolling machine. I will commend you as a first time poster for providing more than ample photos which, in my opinion, are some of the best photos I have seen from a first time poster. I especially enjoyed the angle photos which help us visualize the coin from different angles, however I must caution you against holding coins in your hand as oils in your hand along with fingerprints could occur on the coin. If it were a true error coin, this could greatly reduce. It’s potential value. They minted jus over 860 million of this coin so they still are quite plentiful.

thanks for your post and happy hunting.😍

On 2/29/2024 at 7:40 AM, Mr.Bill347 said:

....They minted jus over 860 million of this coin so they still are quite plentiful..... 

Well, that certainly helps explain the steady drumbeat of ads trumpeting the "fact" that one or more, that can be found in change, is worth $50 million!  🤣