• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Evaluate and know the currency price
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Hello and welcome.  I searched the worldwide web in an effort to locate and identify your coin.  Unfortunately, the only identical match I found was on a facebook page that was in a middle-Eastern language of which I am not versed.  I can say that it is not an ancient coin and possibly not a very old coin either.  The only side of the coin you presented has the lettering "Alexander" and "Greece".  Typically, a coin made in Greece would not indicate "Greece", it would have additional Greek lettering.  The coin looks to be a large coin.  I think you may have a token depicting a common etching of Alexander from ancient Greek coins.  Hopefully other members can provide better information.  It would be helpful to provide a picture of the other side of the coin as well.  It may have additional indicators to help identify it. 

Welcome to the NGC chat board.   

This doesn't appear to be a coin at all. It is more likely a medal or decorative item, likely of modern origin. A photo of the other side could be helpful to identify it. 

If you believe that this item may have value, you should not handle it with your bare hands, except by the edge if you must. The oils in a person's skin may damage (discolor or corrode) such an item.

The image is modeled after coins of Alexander, but the legend says "Aleeanaont." Not aware of any historical figure of that name appearing on coins, mainly because I'm pretty sure there aren't any. Obviously, no ancient coin would have the modern name of Greece in the Latin characters.

I normally ignore posts that can't be bothered to supply weight and diameter, even if I am pretty sure I know what it is at first look, but in this case--whatever it is, it's not an actual coin. Some sort of token, I reckon, probably worth nothing. It almost brings to mind a modern instance of the blundered legends of the Gallic breakaway emperors, on which it was evident that the diemakers weren't even literate. Those are interesting to collect for the sheer ineptitude of the legends.

Just the size, shape and appearance gives me the impression of a cheap modern knockoff or token.  A legit ancient Roman bronze coin if that's what you were thinking would be smaller, look different and be more irregularly shaped like the attached examples which were hand struck.

And in the future if you suspect something might have value handle it only at the edges if necessary.

one_authentic_ancient_roman_empire_bronze_coin___antique_from_240___410_ad_1_lgw.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO