• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 D Lincoln Penny Damage
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Hello once again.

This penny looks like it was recently damaged, but as I look at the edge of the coin, it doesn't seem to me to be something could have happened by dropping the coin.

I took sever angle pictures to help evaluate it. What is interesting to me is the way the metal is split.  I believe that scrapes in the metal do not happen at the mint if there is an error. Of course I could be wrong.

PXL_20240222_160833160.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.7a1f1ba81ffe6f8d2acc60913ad72bcd.jpg

PXL_20240222_160815570.NIGHT.jpg

WIN_20240222_09_06_30_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240222_09_06_48_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240222_09_07_02_Pro.jpg

Although the obverse by itself could be interpreted as a possible retained "cud", the photos of the reverse and the edge make it clear that this is edge damage.  This coin is a good example of why we ask that those with questions about possible mint errors post full photos of both sides of the coin and of the edge if pertinent.

The damage does not necessarily have to happen from being dropped. People sometimes do some strange things to coins, sometimes intentional, sometimes experimental, sometimes accidental. Usually, the method of damage inflicted does not really matter unless you really want to know how a coin came to look the way it does. To me, damage is damage, and I try not to spend too much time trying to figure out the "how" or the "why" as time is valuable to me to hopefully learn or discover something that is truly useful.

Thanks for the good pics here, but something struck the side of the coin with some decent force to be able to shift the metal around like that. Maybe someone threw it at a brick wall or off the concrete.   ????

Enquiring minds would like to know, off the record, not a serious matter for debate, the last time a new  error over 25 years old was found in circulation? 

On 2/22/2024 at 7:10 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Enquiring minds would like to know, off the record, not a serious matter for debate, the last time a new  error over 25 years old was found in circulation? 

Not often, and fantastically unlikely. But unlikely seems not to impress anyone any more. Why? Because of “magical thinking” and “the universal rule of 50/50”, which posits that all probabilities are .5. Either a thing will happen or it will not. The truth is the desired thing has virtually zero probability. 

On 2/22/2024 at 8:10 PM, Henri Charriere said:

... the last time a new  error over 25 years old was found in circulation? 

I don't think it's completely unlikely to imagine that a very old one-off or unique mistake (aka "error") can periodically surface which had been sitting in someone's coin jar or sock drawer all those years and then is passed on, or even floating around in circulation for minor errors which just isn't noticed.

Now expecting that to occur with a repetive variety, like a true doubled die coin, with vast numbers circulating is another story.  Although it does occasionally occur, such as with newly discovered varieties for Morgans as listed on VAM World.