• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doubling?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Have acquired a lot of older pennies that are uncirculated steel sealed would this just be machine doubling?

20240219_044252.jpg

Screenshot_20240219_052223_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240219_052201_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240219_052259_Gallery.jpg

20240219_044024.jpg

Edited by Emmure
Add

Welcome aboard!

I see the "doubling" you are referring to.  The more experienced members will probably ask you to post photos of your coin, front and back, to assist you further in identification. I am not sure what you mean by "steel sealed" but they undoubtedly will.

On 2/19/2024 at 5:36 AM, Emmure said:

plastic bank roll

This is called a "tube" and is used by coin dealers and collectors to store coins in roll quantities, with the cap providing easy access. I've never seen them used by banks, which provide rolls of coins in paper wrappers or shrink wrap. 

On 2/19/2024 at 2:47 AM, Emmure said:

Have acquired a lot of older pennies that are uncirculated steel sealed would this just be machine doubling?

Yes the 1960 cent you posted displays machine/strike/mechanical doubling which is common and has no added value.   However, cents minted in 1960 are not steel.

I am voting in the camp that there is a combination of some strike doubling and also some die deterioration doubling. I notice the very mushy and slope like appearance in spots in one of the photos and the "ragged" and not at the same height secondary image in the others. You are correct there is mechanical doubling present on this coin. (thumbsu