• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1960 D Lincoln Penny Obverse Lamination that peeled
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Based on its depth and texture, I think that this coin more likely shows a "strikethrough" of foreign matter on the die or planchet than a planchet lamination. See https://www.error-ref.com/?s=struck+through.   Conceivably, the matter that this coin was struck through was a lamination that had fallen from another coin, although that would be impossible to determine.

Strikethroughs, like planchet laminations, are quite common on both modern and older U.S. coins and generally aren't worth much of a premium unless they create a piece with a spectacular appearance. (As I have stated before, if you enjoy collecting these sorts of anomalies, you are welcome to do so, and it won't cost much if you collect them out of pocket change.) I have a forum topic about a strikethrough found on a number of (but not all) examples of a specific die variety of 1856 large cent. See 1856 Large Cent Mystery - US, World, and Ancient Coins - NGC Coin Collectors Chat Boards

About a year ago, I purchased at auction, an 1874 copper-nickel three cent piece with a noticeable obverse "strikethrough" at the top of Liberty's coronet. The coin is NGC graded MS 64 but has no error attribution, which would have cost $18, and it might or might not have been attributed. I paid a favorable price for the coin based on its date and grade, perhaps because most date or type collectors would prefer such a coin without the strikethrough.  Note the resemblance of the strikethroughs on this coin from 1874 as well as the 1856 large cents to the one on your 1960-D Lincoln cent.

18743centsnickelobv..jpg.c300578686063eb4a48ac01c4a74b01a.jpg

18743centnickelrev..jpg.08d4f62de0ebd0934d04d1c4c1be1740.jpg

Photos courtesy of Stacks Bowers Galleries.

I agree that this looks more like a strike though.   Value for these varies depending on the size and location of the strike through as well as the number of collectors that might be looking to add this to their collection.   The condition of your coin will also have an impact on value, most collectors are looking for an attractive example, while not terrible I personally would not consider this coin to have positive eye appeal.   That is just my opinion and another collector might not agree with me.

I agree as well that looks more like a strike through. The condition of this coin however negates any premium that it would have gained. There is environmental damage on the obverse of this cent that I think would preclude most collectors from having any interest in it.

One thing to remember about error coins in general (since you seem to be posting several on here), most general collectors view error coins as somehow "damaged" or "not normal" and typically won't collect them. Avid error collectors also seek out quality specimens and coins with "massive" or "spectacular" errors are the ones that gain premium in the marketplace. Just because a coin has a legitimate error, does not necessarily add premium, especially in cases where the coin would receive a details grade as would be the case of this coin having some environmental damage.