• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963 Benjamin Franklin 1/2 dollar
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I inherited the bennie half dollar.  IMO it doesn't have a lot of scratches and scuffs, but the detail also is limited.  So, not sure if I should get it appraised by NGC.  Appreciated any opinions.

BF001 Obverse.JPG

BF001 Reverse.JPG

Please read some books on coin collecting basics before you even consider submitting any coins for grading. Most coins DO NOT qualify to be graded. A coin must have a value either monetary or personal to justify the cost of grading it. In order for this to be done efficiently and with success many things must be learned about coins, grading coins, recognizing fakes, learning about key dates, metal composition..the list goes on and on. Please save yourself the time, disappointment and financial headaches and problems of just submitting coins without knowledge.

Edited by Mike Meenderink

Your 1963-D Franklin half dollar, the highest mintage issue (over 67 million), is in approximately Extremely Fine condition, with little remaining luster and numerous abrasions.  It has a current retail (dealer sell) value of approximately $10, much less than the lowest applicable "Economy" tier NGC grading fee of $23, to which would be added at least $38 per order in return shipping and processing fees and your cost of shipping the coin to NGC.  Third-party grading would add no value to the coin.  You can enjoy it in an album or other appropriate holder.

Before you even think about submitting coins to grading services, it is essential that you learn how to grade and otherwise evaluate coins yourself. Generally, you should have a sound basis to believe that a coin is worth at least several hundred dollars before you should consider submitting it. Please see the forum topics to which I referred you in your topic about the 1969-D half dollar.

Please do not call these "bennies". They are Franklin Half Dollars. This most common issue in the series is well circulated and while it may show it being worth about $9 in the price guides, for a common issue such as this, I would think you would only get melt value for it in the condition it sits in. To submit this, you would need a membership, pay the shipping and insurance to and from, and the grading fee. On a single coin, this would cost you about $125 for a coin worth less than $9.

I also see a rim ding on the obverse at 2 o'clock.

I think you should do some more research on the coins you have inherited and forget about submitting any of them until you become familiar with the series and potential grades. Your money right now would be better spent on books than plastic. 

On 2/16/2024 at 10:10 PM, edhalbrook said:

Can anyone here explain what a "Bugs Bunny" is?

There were many years of Franklin Half Dollars that had die clashes, and the clash left an impression of the eagle's wing on the obverse which created the illusion of teeth near the mouth of Franklin and it somewhat resembled Bugs Bunny's big front teeth, hence the expression.

On 2/17/2024 at 1:14 AM, powermad5000 said:

Please do not call these "bennies". They are Franklin Half Dollars....

Ha! Ha! Ha!  Yes, I believe "bennies" was street slang for drugs and "Benjamins" is already spoken for. One of the few times a non-President was accorded this honor.