• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If You Own Cameo 1936-42 Proofs, Please Read
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I'm working on a research project, and it involves 1936-1942 Cameo Proofs specifically. Specifically, I'm looking to expand the images of these coins in a die catalog. My work on this has been in progress for some time, but I'm trying to get images of as many of these as possible.

Here's what I'm asking for - I need owners of these coins to send them to me for imaging. I will be prepared to offer my photographic services for free, and a little bonus for their efforts. I am prepared to offer images of the Cameo Proof and five other coins in addition to that coin for free. The images will be obverse and reverse and whatever other shots I take and edit. My standard image rules will apply, and I will of course need to use the images for my research. PCGS/NGC graded CAMs are preferred. If you have a near-CAM coin, feel free to reach out too.

The only caveat is this - the owner of the coin will pay shipping due to how costs vary based on the desires of each member. I will, however, offer a stipend in the form of images of three extra coins ($30 in trade). If this is not enough, please reach out and we can see what we can work out. My goal is to make this as beneficial to those who are willing to help as possible, but I realistically don't have the ability to shell out hundreds of dollars in shipping fees, so I need to use my services as a sort of trade.

Feel free to PM if you any questions. Lurkers can reach out to flyingalphoto@gmail.com if they'd like to inquire.

Thanks!

19421ccOBVFORUM.thumb.jpg.26aeb596cec935cdd7d0c359bc63281f.jpg19421cCAMREV.thumb.jpg.273c8f776e0b3f1d5c00a06218d1b942.jpg

...i can appreciate ur interest in the research of these coins n desire to document the same but dubious bout collectors being enthused to ship their coins thru the maze of usps, ups, fedex n placing their coins unnecessairly at risk, plus at their expense n there is the privacy concerns bout ownership, some collectors prefer to keep their private collections just that, private...i for one will pass...u mite have better luck if u attempted to have the owners bring their coins to a central location e.g. world fair of money n u obtain ur desired photographs n annotations there? just a thought....

I take it you are dissatisfied with the quality of photographs furnished by the respective TPGS, by whatever name known.  I do not have an answer for that.  I would imagine the universe of all owners of these very specific, limited number of examples would be small, but how would one reach them all?

On the other hand, I believe member @Buffalo Head is uniquely qualified to capture the essence of every coin but he is all the way up in the Pacific Northwest.  

So this is logistics problem.  Have every owner, whether a member of other TPGSs, or not, the solitary individual who seldom follows threads -- and those deathly afraid of the I.R.S, somehow coordinate with you to bring the job to fruition.  That's a tall order.  I have no idea how you would be able to get the word out to all applicable parties.  I don't know if every TPGS routinely photographs every coin submitted to it, but if their quality does not meet or exceed your standard, you are back to square one.  I am frankly surprised all of these years displaying the features you are interested in, differ so markedly as to warrant so many different photographs:  Seven dates, 14 images, front and back. You don't specify a particular denomination of interest. Any way you look at it, that's potentially dozens of examples.

Gratuitous editorial comment... it seems we have trillions to defend some backyard in Bakhmut and hundreds of millions to fund two failed missions to Mars but collectors with legitimate research projects are stymied in their efforts to get statistically insignificant sums of money to help broaden the hobby's body of knowledge.  For shame.

The only public sourced (i.e., government supported) research would come from Smithsonian and U.S. Mint. Our Mint has never been much of a supporter of research or publisher of results; more often they suppress accurate information. Smithsonian does not view this within their NNC portfolio except when it's all in-house.

Numismatic research is all privately-funded and has nothing beyond EPNNES supporting it. TPGs would seem to be logical supporters of original research, but their historical performance is almost nill. Heritage Auctions has supported certain research, but they do not have a grant program. None of the deep-pocket people have done anything beyond a couple of technological whims related to certain coins.

FlyingAl wants to research a specific sub-set of 1936-42 proof coinage. A TPG is a logical supporting partner, but it is doubtful if any of them give a squat goose. The same applies to simply recording accurate data for pattern and experimental pieces, or the so-called "specimens" etc. TPGs are nothing but expensive paper label printers (think "Dymo Label Maker.")

The failure of the hobby to support original research is an indirect cause of the continuing flow of misinformation, and outright lies that pester collectors. I recently read a book about one of the old branch mints. It was filled with inaccuracies, confused interpretations and outright falsehoods. Yet, this is just the thing collectors buy because they think it is a reliable source.

Edited by RWB