• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2015 P Roosevelt Dime errors
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Over the years I've kept several 2015 P Roosevelt dimes from pocket changes.  I've found dozens that appear to have mint errors.  Attached are pictures of my favorite.  The Observe appears to have been softly struck.  It also has a large die crack from the rim down through Roosevelt's hair.  The Reverse also appears to have a long die chip or crack from the rim through the "O" and down through the torch flame. There are likely other irregularities with this 2015 P Roosevelt dime that I simply am not qualified to comment on.  Some questions:  Are these legitimate Mint Errors?  Was there a broad issue at the Philadelphia Mint in producing the Roosevelt dime? Do both the Obverse and Reverse contain Die Cracks, Die Chips, or a combination?  What is the cause of the fuzzy "Liberty"? Do you see anything else unusual about this coin?  Appreciate any feedback.

RDE002ObserveCloseUp.thumb.JPG.c2370d38d4538e9d55f5090748a6f781.JPG

RDE002.thumb.JPG.06497596a958170e86f32cef3e1d1b5d.JPGRDE002Reverse.thumb.JPG.855efb7099d1ff91363f722ef9258cd3.JPGRDE002ReverseCloseUp.thumb.JPG.38089659b5cc6c9739eda9ea4b88d90d.JPGRDE002ReverseCloseUp2.thumb.JPG.220a9a6e3a0ebe7e736ac57e3bc0daf3.JPGRDE002ObserveCloseUp.thumb.JPG.c2370d38d4538e9d55f5090748a6f781.JPG

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I have several Roosevelt dime mint errors. What I see on this coin is some die cracks on both the obverse and reverse dies. I don't really see any die chips. As for the weakness of the lettering, being these dies are already cracking, tells me they are well past their useful life and with dies that worn out, you won't get a crispness of the details or the lettering in the strike because the dies are simply just too worn out. I see the die cracks on both the obverse and reverse extending in from the rim of the coin on each side as is normal in an overused die that finally starts to break.

Note : die cracks (unless the die has actually shattered), die chips, lettering weakness, and minor anomalies (even minor strike throughs), are not mint errors but rather just seen as quality control issues. In the case of this coin, the quality issue is the dies should have been changed out for new dies long before they ever got to this stage.

Welcome to the NGC chat board.   

Die cracks are very common on both old and new U.S. coins and unless especially advanced (as where a piece of the die has actually broken out, forming a "cud") generally command little or no premium among knowledgeable collectors.  You are welcome to collect them if you find them interesting.  I do not see anything else unusual (including the relief of "LIBERTY") on your 2015-P Roosevelt dime.

Contrary to what you may have read on some websites, it is extremely unusual to find any valuable mint error, die variety, or other rare coin in circulation. I haven't found any such coin in nearly 53 years of searching through change and accumulations of coins. I know only one collector who ever has, the find being a Lincoln cent overstruck by Jefferson nickel dies received in change and worth perhaps a few hundred dollars.  I understand that most such errors were found at counting houses or by bank tellers before reaching circulation and sold to coin dealers.  In 2002 the mint instituted procedures that prevent most significant errors from leaving the mint in the first place.

Edited by Sandon

I miss the days when members would go out of their way to congratulate and encourage new posters who showed their cool circulation finds and purchases. These days it seems we automatically respond with discouragement, if not outright negativity.

Welcome to the forum, Cary Coins. I like your Roosevelt a lot. Looks like the mint got their money's worth from both dies. (Do me a favor. Whatever you do, don't give it some cutesy name like some Youtubers and others - like Vam collectors - do. That drives me crazy.)

Looking forward to seeing what else you have found. (thumbsu

I save interesting finds like that from change or rolls, even though it doesn't add any value.  For modern coins even minor "errors" like that have become more scarce as the mint has been on a mission for a while now to put error collectors out of business.

Thanks to you all for responding and for your insights.  Going back a few generations my family members have collected coins and now in addition to my own collection, I've been inheriting coins from my grandmother and father.  It's intriguing to sort through and examine what they collected and to speculate as to why they kept each coin.