• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Today's Coin Find
1 1

17 posts in this topic

This is not the same as the 55 or 72 cent and why the new type doubled devices is so hard to find, you cannot see it with the naked eye. I only saw it because I use a scope. This could possibly be a 2023 WDDR-019 Class VIII or something like it. Brian's Variety Coins - 2023P WDDR-019 Coin#1 NEW DISCOVERY!! Strong Class VIII doubling shows above the top step of the center steps and on the "ONTICE" of MONTICELLO. You will receive the coin shown in the photos. BU. (briansvarietycoins.com)

I have done the turning the coin to check the lighting and it looks the same tilted or at 180 to 360 degrees. Feel free to speak your thoughts on this coin it is not being sent out it has to many contact marks anyway.  

S20240215_0009.jpg

S20240215_0008.jpg

S20240215_0006.jpg

S20240215_0004.jpg

S20240215_0005.jpg

Edited by J P M

On 2/15/2024 at 11:04 AM, J P M said:

This is not the same as the 55....

Feel free to speak your thoughts on this coin....

S20240215_0009.jpg

S20240215_0008.jpg

S20240215_0006.jpg

The '55 is the Gold Standard; nothing before or since speaks for itself.

My thoughts?  Don't mind if I do.  The portrait of the President has been reduced to a cheap caricature. What, pray tell, was found to be lacking in the former, more presidential, one?

The penmanship in Liberty -- no longer rendered in all caps! -- is atrocious.  Look at the L.  What should and could have been rendered with two billowing flourishes, has been squashed like an unwanted insect.  Maybe one of those collars I keep reading about had too much starch.

Submit this?  I would not if it had not a single contact mark on it.  Everything looks as it should, and I have cataracts.

(Now you've got money to re-string the guitar and get yourself a new pick.)  :sumo:

[That's got to be a poster's worst nightmare.  Inviting comment just as I was walking by.  🤣

You're a good sport!]   (thumbsu

On 2/15/2024 at 11:43 AM, Henri Charriere said:

[That's got to be a poster's worst nightmare.  Inviting comment just as I was walking by.  🤣

You're a good sport!]   (thumbsu

Well, I did say to speak your thoughts, and you did even though it was not related to the subject of the doubled devices.

On 2/15/2024 at 11:50 AM, J P M said:

Well, I did say to speak your thoughts, and you did even though it was not related to the subject of the doubled devices.

Oh, but I did!  I said "everything looks as it should."  doh!

On 2/15/2024 at 11:52 AM, Henri Charriere said:

Oh, but I did!  I said "everything looks as it should."  doh!

So, do you think it compares to the coin on the link? Or it looks normal. The first shot is normal. The second is abbynormal

S20240215_0010.jpg

S20240215_0004.jpg

Edited by J P M

On 2/15/2024 at 11:56 AM, J P M said:

So, do you think it compares to the coin on the link? Or it looks normal. The first shot is normal. The second is abinormal

S20240215_0010.jpg

S20240215_0004.jpg

The lettering on the bottom looks three-dimensional.  Your coin and the one posted on the link are virtual identical twins.  By jove, you've got it!

Edited by Henri Charriere
Reconsideration.

On 2/15/2024 at 11:04 AM, J P M said:

S20240215_0004.jpg

Looks to me like the secondary impressions are lower or shelf-like, and seem to continue around corners without any notching such as at the "NTIC" of "Monticello", which is particularly visible at the "N" and "C".  May just be die deterioration doubling from beating the snot out of the dies if the doubling is lower or shelf-like with the coin in-hand.

2023P 5C WDDR-019 BriansVariety NT.jpg

On 2/15/2024 at 12:33 PM, EagleRJO said:

Looks to me like the secondary impressions are lower or shelf-like, and seem to continue around corners without any notching such as at the "NTIC" of "Monticello", which is particularly visible at the "N" and "C".  May just be die deterioration doubling from beating the snot out of the dies if the doubling is lower or shelf-like with the coin in-hand.

2023P 5C WDDR-019 BriansVariety NT.jpg

That is a good point, The funny part is you cannot see any of this junk with the coin in hand LoL,, This coin is not as new as the one at Brians so it is not quite as defined. The die has also has seen many more strikes for sure. I thought the same until I looked at the top of the O and the inside of the C. It also has the step and doorway similarities.  

I will admit I have a hard time determining these minor varieties on modern nickels. I am also not sure if those on Brian's Variety site are widely recognized and accepted. That said, yours shows some similar characteristics, but may have been struck at a later stage than the one in the link.

On 2/17/2024 at 12:13 AM, powermad5000 said:

I will admit I have a hard time determining these minor varieties on modern nickels. I am also not sure if those on Brian's Variety site are widely recognized and accepted. That said, yours shows some similar characteristics, but may have been struck at a later stage than the one in the link.

Appreciate everyone's insight and comments. I enjoy finding stuff like this it is a continues learning experience with each coin.  I am not sure if any of the new classification DDO and DDRs are actually accepted fully. But they do ask for a few bucks for some of them. I do know that when you send a nickel to Variety Vista you used to have to send it to Brian because he attributes all nickel varieties for them. I do agree that the coin I have is a later die state. I did find a couple more of these in the same roll. This one is a bit nicer the top of the T is a bit clearer and flatter like the Brian one. It also has the extra metal chips on the corner of the first step on the left.  Brian's Variety Coins - 2023P WDDR-019 Coin#1 NEW DISCOVERY!! Strong Class VIII doubling shows above the top step of the center steps and on the "ONTICE" of MONTICELLO. You will receive the coin shown in the photos. BU. (briansvarietycoins.com) I want to say again this is all just for the fun of it.

S20240215_0011.jpg

Edited by J P M

On 2/17/2024 at 8:56 AM, J P M said:

I do know that when you send a nickel to Variety Vista you used to have to send it to Brian because he attributes all nickel varieties for them.

I did not know this. Thanks for relaying that information!

Your second one does look much closer to the Brian's variety one. If the rest of the markers are there, I would say that one is one of them.

On 2/17/2024 at 8:56 AM, J P M said:

I want to say again this is all just for the fun of it.

That is how I feel about collecting any moderns. :)

On 2/17/2024 at 12:13 AM, powermad5000 said:

I am also not sure if those on Brian's Variety site are widely recognized and accepted

In addition to what JPM indicated, Wexler's now refers people to Brian’s for Jefferson nickel DD listings ...

https://doubleddie.com/228401.html

On 2/17/2024 at 9:56 AM, J P M said:

I do agree that the coin I have is a later die state

A combination of hub and die deterioration doubling would seem to make sense.

On 2/17/2024 at 4:34 PM, EagleRJO said:

In addition to what JPM indicated, Wexler's now refers people to Brian’s for Jefferson nickel DD listings ...

https://doubleddie.com/228401.html

A combination of hub and die deterioration doubling would seem to make sense.

So, do you see the doubled notching better in the new picture Eagle? It looks rounded to me or is this Deterioration Doubling?

Notching.jpg

Edited by J P M

Unless it's just the images there appears to be notching at the "T", but then in other areas it appears rounded like around the "N" and bottom of the "C" which is why I thought it may be some combination with your suggestion of a late stage die.

On 2/17/2024 at 6:33 PM, EagleRJO said:

Unless it's just the images there appears to be notching at the "T", but then in other areas it appears rounded like around the "N" and bottom of the "C" which is why I thought it may be some combination with your suggestion of a late stage die.

This is a different coin than the original this one has much better details. Same Idea only better looking.