• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1981 Proof 1c Question.
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Hello again,

I was going through all of my proof sets, and while looking at the 1980 set I noticed this doubling/tripling on the reverse of the 1c. I don't believe it is called a ddr/tdr because of the shelf like presentation on the letters. But the right side of the memorial looks like it has 3 shelfs as do many of the letters. Does anyone know the term for this, and is this officially "cool" or just cool to me?

Just to be clear, this is from an un-cracked proof set. 

WIN_20240212_18_16_05_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240212_18_16_51_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240212_18_17_24_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240212_18_17_36_Pro.jpg

1980 1c-R.jpg

WIN_20240212_18_23_12_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240212_18_23_34_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240212_18_25_30_Pro.jpg

Assuming that the multiple images are all on the coin and not the result of reflections between the coin and its holder, I agree that this is likely all strike doubling from multiple motions of a loose die. Proof coins may be struck more than once to bring out the detail fully, making such multiple shelf-like images more likely.

Machine doubling! Thank you. That would make sense if they do multiple strikes on a proof coin. It is not a reflection from the case. I looked at it under 30x and 90x from multiple angles. These pictures are from my $35 720p coin camera…so not the best.  Thank you for teaching me another fact @Sandon

They made over 3.5 million 1980 proof sets. While proofs all were supposed to be struck from superb dies, the Mint making this many sets was bound to overuse some dies even in the proofing process to make this many sets. So you will see some from dies that are more worn for the purposes of producing proofs. Also, proofs were struck several times to produce the best image possible and once again, with the Mint making this many proof sets, having a die come loose in the process and as noted by Sandon is quite possible and maybe even producing this many proofs considered "within mint tolerance".

As an fyi to this subject, there is such a thing as a TDR. I own one. 

IMG_20200814_155902~2.jpg