• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bicentennial Eisenhower D over S???
1 1

14 posts in this topic

The pictures are too blurry to tell for sure, but it appears just to be a damaged mintmark.  Please transmit images directly from your computer instead of camera shots of the images on the screen. Additionally, please post cropped images of each full side of the coin.

Without a scintilla of doubt or smidgen of evidence to support my audacious claim, I am going to suggest the entire area surrounding the mintmark(s) ought to be regarded as one would a crime scene.  Each 'mark is of a different size and, no offense intended, but the "D" looks morbidly obese. In addition, one cannot help but notice the unkempt workplace, i.e., the immediate work area, a darker iridescent blue which envelops the letter D circumferentially and completely.  I regret to say I am obliged to question the skills of the amateur-artist involved and am constrained to withhold the usual honorarium solely for that reason.  🤣

The coin you have posted is a normal 1976 Eisenhower Bi Centennial dollar. The coin is also heavily circulated and would not grade above VF.  The mint mark has taken a hit which created its strange appearance. NGC does not recognize any D over S re punched mintmark variety on these coins. There has never been a certified D/S variety re punch mintmark on these coins and/or it is not a listed or attributed variety with CONECA or Variety Vista. The coin is worth 1$. Cheers

Hello and welcome!

I used my phone to take a pic of one of your regular pics, and with a little zooming, I think the mag is making the whole thing look different/worse/questionable.

What I see in the pic I am able to adjust better and work with, reminds me of some of these I've seen and has been better described by @Sandon, but what I used to call in my own words as a "heavy mintmark". Basically, the mintmark looks like it is sitting "deep" in the metal. I now know better how this comes to be and was properly described by Sandon. I don't see any evidence of an RPM and I also could not locate one for this issue on any of the sources used to verify if any have been discovered.

As a tip, while I am on this thread, I warn to use caution with the mag. While it has it's purpose for verifying something you have maybe found using 7X or 10X, use of the mag beyond that will send you down a rabbit hole of seeing things that are not really there, or are not really a feature of a coin. Mag can make a hit look like the Grand Canyon, or a raised spot like a mountain. We know neither of those to be true on coins. My advice is to ditch the mag and keep your inspections down to a reasonable 7-10X.

Here are photos of the OP's 1976-D, and two Unc examples. All have the D within a depression (on the coin). This is actually a small raised area in the die where the tiny mintmark pushed up metal and the die field was not smoothed afterward. The large "S" is an optical illusion.

OP.jpg.a9d65904af910a384fbd54bf52434a79.jpg

OP-2.jpg.26b96c62692bc7fa51f2c78e040a3bcf.jpg

OP-3.jpg.5b2dec91c9f8501b8459ab4324642bb4.jpg

Edited by RWB

On 2/12/2024 at 6:25 PM, Benawoo said:

I appreciate all your feedback and respect your knowledge of coins. 1 of these days, I'm going to find that retirement coin!! LolPXL_20240213_001016112.thumb.jpg.43789af2be194eae8e9486d0b7eaf6ed.jpg PXL_20240213_000132330.thumb.jpg.077696c22726f2ebe1df162000b5bea8.jpg

Actually, no, no you’re not going to find a retirement coin.

On 2/15/2024 at 12:11 AM, Benawoo said:

@VKurtB WOW! That reply makes me more driven to keep searching all my coins. 

LoL If looking for posable mint defects in coins is what you like to do then go for it. I roll hunt all the time and I do find many irregularities in coins. However, I do not find true error coins very often, once in a blue moon like almost never. But I still roll hunt all the time searching for hard-to-find coins to fill my coin folders. I enjoy it and if I do find a coin, I truly think is worthy I will post it in a thread to see what others think. I say collect what you like. The point is Most collectors do not hunt only a small percentage. Kurt knows coins inside and out and has been collecting and representing numismatics for his lifetime. He as most members here will tell you how things are you may not like all of it but  we all are true to the hobby.

On 2/14/2024 at 11:11 PM, Benawoo said:

@VKurtB WOW! That reply makes me more driven to keep searching all my coins. 

I’ve been searching ALL my coins for 61 years and I have never ever even ONCE found a legitimate error coin. Not one ever. Yes, I have found the same garbage that ends up all over this site. The key is the phrase “legitimate error coin”. They are NOT just sitting out there for any schlemiel to find. Error coins are PURCHASED, seldom FOUND. 

So where do they come from? Fair question. Overwhelmingly they are pulled from monstrous “ballistic bags” by employees of the firms that the Federal Reserve Banks hire to roll coins, such as N.F. String & Sons of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania or any of the other similar firms. 

Edited by VKurtB

I will state @Benawoo, that I have found three mint errors in change. NONE of them command any real premium. Just a very slight premium over face value. They are all strike throughs which are mainly "common" in the error world and none of them are colossal errors. My one Roosevelt dime has both sides struck through pretty good, but still, it is not a colossal error.

Also, if I may, I invite you to look over the wares on the website Sullivan Numismatics. They specialize only in error coins. They have colossal errors. And none of those would you be able to retire on either. Even the sacred 1982 D Small Date Bronze Transitional Lincoln Cent sold for a high price, but still not a price you would be able to retire on.

I am not trying to burst your bubble, it is just the way it is. This hobby is participated mostly out of a love of it. A love of coins. Very few have the means to assemble a collection that one could retire on. We mostly don't spend all this time on this hobby looking for financial gain. If anything, it is a financial drain on most of us. But, we don't care because we love our coins and we love organizing and cataloging and reading about and learning more about and photographing and looking at and looking for them, and some of us even display them.

So, I think you will find that you like the searching for coins you are looking for and in the meantime dreaming about a great find, and that is excellent. Keep looking! We on here are all looking for something. I think it is the search that makes it interesting as well as the process of learning more. 

Edited by powermad5000