• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Possible 1940S DDO came in today.
1 1

17 posts in this topic

RE: "Possible 1940S DDO came in today."

Appears more like a late stage of the same die crack, this time here's a prominent cud on the wings (stage D). If there's really a doubled die, it's entirely trivial and of no value. The cud is interesting and might bring a small premium above melt.

On 2/10/2024 at 12:49 PM, RWB said:

RE: "Possible 1940S DDO came in today."

Appears more like a late stage of the same die crack, this time here's a prominent cud on the wings (stage D). If there's really a doubled die, it's entirely trivial and of no value. The cud is interesting and might bring a small premium above melt.

Is it BU with full Torch?

Mercury dimes do not have a Full Torch, they have Full Bands which yours obviously is not.   
It is the Roosevelt dimes that have a Full Torch.

On 2/10/2024 at 12:55 PM, Errorists said:

Is it not BU with full Torch?

It's not BU and has nothing to do with full torch.

On 2/10/2024 at 4:38 PM, Errorists said:

Oh yeah meant full bands. So it's VG?

I do not believe the presence or absence of characteristics unique to a coin series would cause a grade to drop so precipitously.  From BU to VG.  Your coin was struck well and the wear patterns are even.  I am [unofficially] assigning it a grade of VF-37.  Formal graders would beg to disagree.  

Edited by Henri Charriere
Insert word.

I would say it has the same die cracks, but I cannot see any doubling on the devices with these photos.

On 2/10/2024 at 1:55 PM, Errorists said:

Low to mid-range EF, probably cleaned. Nice collection coin for the break.

On 2/10/2024 at 6:50 PM, RWB said:

Low to mid-range EF, probably cleaned. Nice collection coin for the break.

I see 3 die cracks,flow lines,a cud and 2 dings possibly. The 2 dings should make it AU?

Unfortunately, I am old school.  If it ain't one of any number of UNCs, or AU, the next consideration is EF.  An owner of a series of certified such coins would be in a better position to render a judgment on this coin.  I am ill prepared to do so.  If it's any consolation, I have a '37 Merc sitting in an airtite in my kitchen drawer you are more than welcome to have, but there's one big problem: there's nothing wrong with it.  🤣

On 2/10/2024 at 9:07 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Unfortunately, I am old school.  If it ain't one of any number of UNCs, or AU, the next consideration is EF.  An owner of a series of certified such coins would be in a better position to render a judgment on this coin.  I am ill prepared to do so.  If it's any consolation, I have a '37 Merc sitting in an airtite in my kitchen drawer you are more than welcome to have, but there's one big problem: there's nothing wrong with it.  🤣

MS70 ?

While your coin has some of the die markers for the 1940 S DDO-003, there are others it does not have (not attributable to wear, just not present). It could be a later stage of the die, but the cracks that go through the face and cap are not there as well as I am not sure if the die gouge through the W in WE is there either. Die cracks would get worse in late stage but I feel would have to be present to be attributable to a certain variety and if the variety states those cracks are there but they are not on the coin, I would say it is not that variety. Of the varieties DDO 001-DDO 005, yours is closer to DDO-003 because it has the other two die cracks from the neck to rim and from the wing to rim. It seems it is just missing some of the other features of the 003. 

As for the grade in question (I have many Mercury dimes all in MS FB but to collect MS you have to know what not to look for), I would say yours is low end AU (50-53). It shows some circulation wear. XF is too low of a grade for your coin imho. Dings have less to do with it being AU than wear does. MS coins can have dings (think Morgan dollars and modern nickels). It is very possibly an AU details coin for being cleaned (seems a little too "white" for low end AU in which there should be some level of toning). While talking about grade, I do not think there has been any Mercury dime graded MS 70 (only a handful of top pop at MS 69). It most certainly is not a full torch (which is for Roosevelt dimes), nor does it have FB (full bands) as most notably the center set of bands is solid and not split (two bands). On the reverse of the Mercury Dime, the bundle of rods with an ax head is called a fasces (pronounced 'fa-sez [fah-sees]) by the way. Not to be confused with feces unless the Mercury dime is total poop. xD

Edited by powermad5000

OK, now the OP is evidently teasing.... dings, MS70, etc....  :)

On 2/10/2024 at 10:52 PM, Errorists said:

MS70 ?

No. No collector would cavalierly throw a BU coin, protected or not, into a kitchen drawer.  I would peg it at lower grade with partial bands. I am ashamed to admit I have never acquired a coin with flaws of any kind.