• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2023 D Roosevelt Dime Oddity?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hello once again,

I was reading up on a type of error "small date over large date". 

This type of error is NOT on this coin but something that might be similar.

On the reverse looking at the word "PLURIBUS" the R looks like something happened to it.

Thoughts? Is it considered a doubling?

PXL_20240208_211939557.jpg

PXL_20240208_212034252.jpg

PXL_20240208_212151838.jpg

PXL_20240208_211649702.jpg

WIN_20240208_14_22_53_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240208_13_27_56_Pro.jpg

On 2/9/2024 at 11:30 AM, CommunicatorDan said:

Neither a "small date over a large date", which is classified as a die variety rather than a mint error, nor something "similar" would occur on a modern coin. Before around 1908 the mint punched dates into each coinage die with punches bearing one or more numerals, making repunched dates or dates entered from two different punches possible. Since 1908 dates are included in the master dies and "hubs" from which the coinage dies are made, so nothing of this sort should happen. Since the early 1990s mintmarks have also been included in the master dies and "hubs", making repunched mintmarks, over-mintmarks and mintmarks differing in location a thing of the past as well. These are classified as die varieties because every coin struck from the affected die should show the pertinent characteristic.  

The depression in the "R" to the facing left of the raised metal on your 2023-D dime indicates that this is just a scrape, with the raised lump resulting from the displaced metal. Even if it were a die chip or small piece of scrap struck into the coin, it would be a minor anomaly that would attract little interest from knowledgeable collectors. 

If you want to search for mint errors or die varieties, you should learn how they occur and what they look like. A mint error of any significance should be readily visible to the unaided eye. A die variety should be visible at 5x to 7x magnification according to most experts, and certainly no greater than 10x.  See What is a Variety? | NGC (ngccoin.com) and Variety vs. Mint Error | NGC (ngccoin.com).  

On 2/9/2024 at 11:30 AM, CommunicatorDan said:

The small/large overdate error or variety possible up to around 1910 when dates were still hand punched onto dies wouldn't relate to something which could occur to a letter on the reverse of a modern coin, which I agree just appears to be damage.

Don’t waste your time on minor anomolies. The mint produces coins at high speed
and puts production over quality. If you increase the size enough, you could probably
find something wrong with just about any coin. As Sandon stated, ,if you can’t see a
major error without increasing the size, then it’s not worth worrying about. Put away
the microscope and read up on how coins are minted what an actual error looks like.   

To me, in the second to last photo, it looks like a die chip is sitting on top of the letter R in PLURIBUS. I thought it was a hit to the letter at first, but I notice in that second to last pic, that most of the R is at the height of being normally struck and there seems to be a die chip sitting on top of the normal level of the strike.

On modern coins, while this may seem like an oddity to a newer collector, it is actually quite common across all denominations (die chips that is). It adds no premium to the coin. While it may be a common occurrence to seasoned collectors, some people like to collect these minor specimens, so if the coin interests you, maybe put it in a flip and start a box labeled "die chips" where you keep other coins having these small die chips on them.

On 2/10/2024 at 9:16 AM, GDPKona said:

Off topic but what gear did you use to take those pictures? Impressive!

No, it’s not.