• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coins
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Put your coin on a white piece of paper. Put your phone on a stack of books or a soda can. Zoom in so the whole coin fills the screen and shoot without flash. Flip it over and do the same for the reverse shot. 

On 2/8/2024 at 7:05 AM, J P M said:

Zoom in so the whole coin fills the screen ...

I would suggest trying to adjust the distance from the phone to the coin to substantially fill the screen, in order to ensure that the auto-focus is picking up the coin and not the surrounding area.  If the auto-focus is set on the surrounding area the pic can become blurry as soon as you start zooming in on the photo.

Hello and welcome!

I am assuming (possibly incorrectly) you are asking about taking a photo of a coin with a phone camera. Background is important as @J P M stated. I prefer to use black. I am not sure the color is absolutely critical as long as it is a solid color. I think backgrounds with mixed colors or patterns tend to drive the self focus of the camera app crazy trying to focus on more than just the coin.

The biggest thing is to keep the phone steady. It is easier to place the phone on a stack of books, a pop can, a coffee can, etc. Your hand will generally not keep the phone steady enough to get a clear shot. Over zooming won't help. Use only 1X or 2X max and then use the editing software in the photos app to crop out as much of the background as possible making the coin the main photo.

Lighting it also important. Too much light will wash out the coins details. Not enough light will result in a dark photo with loss of details in the shadows. Generally, you don't want to shine the light directly at the coin, but to have it on a slight angle so the light isn't overpowering or reflecting too much light back at the lens. Keep your flash off or you won't be able to see anything but a round shape.

Lastly, you can fine tune the photo using the adjust settings to get the photo to look as close as possible to its natural look. Hope this helps.