• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Error?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I recently acquired a decent coin collection I came across this and I'm trying to figure out if that is an error or if that is just damage any feedback would be helpful.

20240207_031636.jpg

20240207_031710.jpg

Looks like just damage where something grabbed onto the coin edge as I see similar incuse marks on both sides.

Also, for errors try to imagine how it could have occured at the mint, which for this coin comes up blank.

Welcome to the forum
Definitely damage, that could not occur during the striking of the coin.

In the future, please crop your photos. All that background is not necessary.

Edited by Greenstang

On 2/7/2024 at 7:34 AM, Greenstang said:

... occur during the striking of the coin.

Just an FYI, an error coin is typically a mistake that occurs during striking, but it can be from other steps in the production like blanking (e.g. clipped planchet) or annealing (e.g. Black Beauty).

USMintCoinProductionDiagram.jpg.8e33e1275089dd59cc8564c26c1f1c48-1.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

This is a true vice job. You can see where the edge was just slipped into the diamond shape designed jaws of the grips. Maybe not this exact one but something similar.

Image result for Vise Jaw Grippers. Size: 161 x 106. Source: www.ebay.com

Edited by J P M

Hello and welcome!

I agree with the others that this is physical damage and not an error. I cannot come up with anything having that pattern on it that would be in the striking chamber. Also if it were an issue with the planchet, I believe pressure from the strike would have negated that pattern in the metal.