• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some British finds today
1 1

11 posts in this topic

The old Brittish money before they standardized with all the coins and terms like quid, guinea, sovereign, crown, shilling, florin, helm, groat, bit, bob, pence, farthing, etc was crazy and I would have needed a translation and conversion book to buy a pack of gum.  (:

If anyone knows British coin values, I need some help...One of the coins I got yesterday is a 1 Pound 1983 coin, which according to cursory search could be worth a lot of money. Anybody know?

It appears to be silver weights 9.52 grams Has both edge reeding and edge lettering, is in AU condition, is 22cm across and 2cm thick.

Another coin from that 1986 Proof set is a TWO POUND coin also pictured below

TIA

IMG_8181.jpg

IMG_8180.jpg

IMG_8178.jpg

IMG_8179.jpg

1983onep-rev.jpg

1983OneP-obv.jpg

Value.jpg

Edited by Mr.Bill347

On 2/6/2024 at 11:34 AM, Mr.Bill347 said:

If anyone knows British coin values, I need some help...One of the coins I got yesterday is a 1 Pound 1983 coin, which according to cursory search could be worth a lot of money. Anybody know?

It appears to be silver weights 9.52 grams Has both edge reeding and edge lettering, is in AU condition, is 22cm across and 2cm thick.

At 22cm (8.66 inches) diameter and 2cm (3/4 inch) thick that is one big coin!  :insane:  Kidding aside, on values have you checked the NGC World Coin values like the following which seems to be a match?

And do you have "upside down edge lettering" like the sold 1983 1-Pound coin you referenced?  That seems like a suspect sold price to begin with, and I'm not sure what they mean by "upside down" edge lettering since it may be that is added with a separate press with the edge lettering in either position depending on how it's fed into the press like US coins (Position-A or Position-B)?

NGC Values 1983 1-Pound Coin

NGC Values 1986 2-Pound Coin

On 2/6/2024 at 11:34 AM, Mr.Bill347 said:

One of the coins I got yesterday is a 1 Pound 1983 coin, which according to cursory search could be worth a lot of money.

Complete rubbish if you're talking about the orientation of the edge lettering. 

Thanks Eagle and Mike, my coin has the lettering facing up towards the obverse. But still the NgC values show that with the 1986 and 1987 sets plus 13 other coins for $30 was well worth it.

footnote Eagle I meant mm not cm lol

On 2/6/2024 at 3:23 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

... footnote Eagle I meant mm not cm lol

Yes, I know.  Just having a little fun with that.  :baiting: (:

Also, I meant to ask was that a legit sold listing for the "error" coin?  I wasn't aware of any such "error" and suspect it's bogus or someone really got taken to the cleaners.

I suspect the eBay listing posted here is akin to those I see on there with ridiculous asking prices for things that are not that out of the ordinary, such as common quarters with die chips having asking prices of $500+. That looks like a listing, not a sold price, as there is still a buy it now button visible.

Remember, just because someone is asking a ridiculous price for something and trying to rip off someone unsuspecting, that does not mean the coin sold for that price or is even worth that price.

Eagle and Mike, yes it appears to be bogus listings. One did sell 2-4-24 for $15 not near as nice as mine. So still looks like a good investment.

IMG_5791.jpeg

On 2/6/2024 at 10:21 PM, powermad5000 said:

That looks like a listing, not a sold price, as there is still a buy it now button visible.

That one actually was a "Sold" listing for a 1983 1-Pound coin with "upside down" edge lettering (see attached), which was sold on eBay for $3,900 on 1/7/24 which appears to have been a "setup" sale.

I would bet the family ranch the scam artist purchased the coin from themself in order to sucker someone into buying that coin, or similar ones they are selling, for a ridiculous price.  I see the exact same coin with the same pictures now currently listed for sale on ScamBay for $3,000 ... What a Bargain! ... ScamBay Listing: 1983 Elizabeth II one pound upside down

That is why I say you should always check guide prices, and take individual sold listings with a grain of salt!

On 2/6/2024 at 10:25 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

One did sell 2-4-24 for $15 not near as nice as mine. So still looks like a good investment.

Well, I don't think coins are a good "investment", but if you got the coins for a decent price then good on you with the additions to your collection.  ;)

eBay Brittish 1-P Sold Listing.jpg

On 2/6/2024 at 12:54 AM, EagleRJO said:

The old Brittish money before they standardized with all the coins and terms like quid, guinea, sovereign, crown, shilling, florin, helm, groat, bit, bob, pence, farthing, etc was crazy and I would have needed a translation and conversion book to buy a pack of gum.  (:

Nah, it’s really quite easy.