• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Philadelphia/ strike though cloth material/ Reverse
2 2

22 posts in this topic

1969 Philadelphia Lincoln cent. It appears that it was struck through some type of cloth or sponge pores material don't really know. It is part of the coin is not caked on dirt or anything of that sort it is the coin. Need expert help opinions advice. Thank you.

IMG_20240205_044517 (1).jpg

IMG_20240205_044431 (1).jpg

IMG_20240205_043752 (1).jpg

IMG_20240205_043757 (1).jpg

IMG_20240205_045159 (1).jpg

It looks like a strong acid was dripped on to one side of the coin and then washed off after it bubbled up. it looks like Post Mint Damage to me. People do a lot of strange experiments on coins.

It looks like some type of adhesive or epoxy. Acetone or some kind of paint thinner will probably remove it. 

On 2/5/2024 at 8:32 AM, tj96 said:

It looks like some type of adhesive or epoxy. Acetone or some kind of paint thinner will probably remove it. 

+1

On 2/5/2024 at 7:32 AM, tj96 said:

+2 Contrary to what the op wrote this looks built up on the surface of the coin, glue, paint, gum, whatever.  Look at the left (viewers left) around the rim, that area is as high as the rim which would not be the case if it was an acid coin.   Then look at the steps, the gunk is higher than the steps, clearly indicating this is on the surface not eaten into the surface.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 2/5/2024 at 6:53 AM, EagleRJO said:

What is the weight to 0.01g?

I suspect this coin is somewhat over the weight you would expect for a worn cent as it appears an adhesive was added to the reverse in order to stick the coin on something, and then later peeled off that.

If it was struck-through or acid damaged, which it doesn't appear to be, then it would weigh about or less than the spec weight with an adjustment to consider wear.

Edited by EagleRJO

At first I thought corrosion until I looked for a few seconds and noted that the anomaly seems to be on the surface. I think it is some kind of glue or adhesive and the penny was glued to something for awhile and then removed from whatever it was glued to. You can try to use acetone to remove whatever it is, but I could only guess there was some chemical transfer which will result in an ugly stain even if you can get it off of the surface. I say mess with it if you want, but it is forever damaged and worth face value. It's a spender now.

On 2/5/2024 at 11:57 AM, Coinbuf said:

+2 Contrary to what the op wrote this looks built up on the surface of the coin, glue, paint, gum, whatever.  Look at the left (viewers left) around the rim, that area is as high as the rim which would not be the case if it was an acid coin.   Then look at the steps, the gunk is higher than the steps, clearly indicating this is on the surface not eaten into the surface.

Yes, sometimes photos can make things different online. When I first saw the picture the damage looked incuse. I agree looking at it again it does look like it is on the surface.

On 2/5/2024 at 6:53 AM, EagleRJO said:

What is the weight to 0.01g?

I applaud your sarcasm. Okay I'm going to ask you to think don't hurt yourself if it wasn't acid that ate away the coin would the coin weigh more or less take your time don't hurry it's a tough one. 

IMG_20240205_192427.jpg

Thank you guys for your thoughts and opinions but like I said it's not a hardened crust or gum or any type of Gunk on the coin it is the same material as the coin part of the coin that is the coin it is not a different material that is stuck on it it cannot be scraped off the coin weighs three points 12 g

Here are some other coins I found that have been struck through some type of material somewhat similar to my coin except the design is a little more dramatic. If it was not struck through a material I'm wondering how the coin would have these porous holes that are one with the coin it is not crud or corrosion it is the same copper material as the rest of the Lincoln cent.

Screenshot_2024-02-05-19-43-33-180.jpg

Screenshot_2024-02-05-19-42-19-104.jpg

On 2/5/2024 at 7:03 AM, Greenstang said:

Looks to me like there is some sort of substance on it.    
If it was struck through, it would be concuse, yours appears raised.

I understand what you are saying but it is not raised it is flush with the coin it does not go any higher than the lettering or the memorial it is flush.

On 2/5/2024 at 7:32 PM, Rykel said:

I applaud your sarcasm. Okay I'm going to ask you to think don't hurt yourself if it wasn't acid that ate away the coin would the coin weigh more or less take your time don't hurry it's a tough one. 

IMG_20240205_192427.jpg

That is one tiny scale Rykel. 

Edited by J P M

The anomalous reverse of the originally posted 1969 Lincoln cent doesn't resemble the examples of coins struck through cloth shown at https://www.error-ref.com/?s=struck+through+cloth.  Note that the struck through areas of those coins do not appear discolored or blotchy like those on the posted coin. It appears to me to be a foreign substance that is raised above the original surface of the coin, although it is possible that it could appear different in hand. The most likely explanation, which is usually the correct one, is that the coin was mounted on some surface and subsequently removed, leaving the residue of the mounting material on the reverse. 

If you aren't satisfied with our explanations and still believe that this coin exhibits some form of mint error, you may consider submitting it to CONECA as I believe we discussed on one of your previous topics.

The second coin whose photos you posted appears to have been crushed by a vise or other tool whose surface imparted the pattern on one side and also caused the damage on the other side. Compare it to the photos of the 1941 cent at https://www.error-ref.com/squeeze-job-or-vice-job-or-garage-job/.     

Edited by Sandon
addition regarding second coin

On 2/5/2024 at 7:32 PM, Rykel said:

Now take your time, and just read the reply slowly as I know it will seriously drain your mental capacity, and remember to breath as serious brain drains can affect respiratory functions.  Weights are sometimes good diagnostic indicators.  Okay, I know that was really tough on you, but you should recover in a few days having expended so much mental effort trying to both read and understand that.  Okay, back to ignoring you which is what I should have done in the first place.

On 2/5/2024 at 6:33 PM, Rykel said:

Thank you guys for your thoughts and opinions but like I said it's not a hardened crust or gum or any type of Gunk on the coin it is the same material as the coin part of the coin that is the coin it is not a different material that is stuck on it it cannot be scraped off the coin

There is nothing in the mint process nor on the mint floor that would produce this effect in a strike through on a brass cent. Since you seem to not be satisfied with our observations of your coin, I suggest then that you pay the costs and mint error fee and submit this coin to NGC.

Rykel: Your cent is damaged/mutilated. It is not an "error" of any kind. Now, please step away from your "smart phone" and "U-Tube" hysterical coin videos.

You've been given honest, reasonable suggestions above. As a new collector you have zero knowledge or experience and should listen to the members here and learn. Thank you.

[Submitting this coin would be both a waste of time and money.  Besides, turn-around times are long enough.  Listening and learning won't help if you're mind is already made up -- or you are the creator of this Frankenstein cent and get a big kick out of seeing hobbyists wrack their brains in the absence of an official autopsy report.

My suggestion is more practical.  If you wish to be taken seriously, jettison the run-on sentences and acquaint yourself with the rudimentaries of the King's English including the use of punctuation such as Capital letters and periods. There is a big difference between texting, messaging and leaving formal, coherent, respectful comments.]