• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 D Maya Angelou Quarter question

9 posts in this topic

I was wondering why the rim has less copper on the rim after being sandwiched?

Nothing major I was just curious on the why?

Also does the weight being between 4-5 grams make much a difference versus the mints 5.670g? What is the tolerance for weight? I probably need a scale that weighs better.

Thank you just curious.

20240203_220922.thumb.jpg.b586b0baaa3373cc9d4ac41eae7c16ef.jpg

20240203_220934.thumb.jpg.75e707046bf6ccfaf772afe896272a64.jpg

20240203_221027.thumb.jpg.469053182b09f195d5b676e4b2858ff9.jpg

Edited by NeverEnoughCoins09
added

On 2/3/2024 at 11:25 PM, NeverEnoughCoins09 said:

I was wondering why the rim has less copper on the rim after being sandwiched?

From when the blank is punched out.  And you definitely need a new scale as +/- 1g isn't going to cut it.

I feel the cladding is sometimes applied better to some coins than others. Sometimes you see a lot of the copper core, and on others you see none or very little of it.

As for your scale, if you have a scale weighing in 0.1g, or worse yet, if it is weighing in only 1.0g increments, you definitely need a new scale that weighs out to the hundredths of a gram. A general weight between 4-5 grams that you have given here is way too wide of a range and very inaccurate for a weight.

Try to avoid cheap pocket scales made in China. They are not accurate for long if at all. Spend a reasonable amount on a scale. You can get a pretty accurate one for $25-40. 

@EagleRJO @powermad5000 

Alright I will get a scale that weighs to the hundredths of a gram if that's best. I assumed that wasn't going to be good enough still figured I would ask I don't normally try to weigh coins and check.

I asked about this coin because it was in a roll and stood out like a sore thumb. I thought I finally found another junk silver quarter but to my dismay I'm assuming I found a quarter with just more cladding which from what I understand now happens time to time. 

So this happens under normal circumstances correct? 

On 2/4/2024 at 8:46 AM, Greenstang said:

The weight tolerance on the clad quarters is .227 which means that it could fall antwhere between 5.44 and 5.89.

Ok good to know thank you! If it is below tolerance what does that mean about a clad quarter? I just want to clarify and understand. Thank you

Sorry, there was a typo on my previous post, it should read 4.44 and 5.89.

They blanks that produce Planchets are weighed in bulk so as long as the bulk weight is within tolerance, they pass the test,  so you can have some underweight and some overweight blanks. The mint is more concerned with quantity than quality.

On 2/4/2024 at 9:16 AM, Greenstang said:

Sorry, there was a typo on my previous post, it should read 4.44 and 5.89.

They blanks that produce Planchets are weighed in bulk so as long as the bulk weight is within tolerance, they pass the test,  so you can have some underweight and some overweight blanks. The mint is more concerned with quantity than quality.

Ok so it won't matter then and it's just a coin with less copper on the rim than usual. Thank you

On 2/4/2024 at 8:53 AM, NeverEnoughCoins09 said:

So this happens under normal circumstances correct?

Just as the blanking process, annealing process, etc., the cladding process is also not 100% exact every time. Every coin is not going to have the exact perfect layer of cladding as every other coin. As @Greenstang stated, the mint needs to produce quantity within a set timeframe. With some quantities in the hundreds of millions and some in the billions, as long as the process is continuous, the mint is satisfied with that, and not every coin can be checked to a strict tolerance with little to no variance. While the mint may spot check during each process, they simply cannot check every coin to make them all the same to an exacting standard. Basic mass production.