• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another New Coin PD BU (coins)
1 1

18 posts in this topic

I live in Illinois. I didn't even know these existed until you posted this.

Not a terrible design but the obverse to me has a little too much field. I am not into collecting commemoratives so I won't be seeking to get one. Do you know if these were intended for circulation?

On 2/3/2024 at 3:46 PM, powermad5000 said:

I live in Illinois. I didn't even know these existed until you posted this.

Not a terrible design but the obverse to me has a little too much field. I am not into collecting commemoratives so I won't be seeking to get one. Do you know if these were intended for circulation?

Spoiler

I have collected these since they began, I purchase them from an Ebayer who buys them by the bag and resells them on a pre order basis. For 3.92 delivered for a P and D coin, is not too bad. Some of them had very limited mintages, example Georgia 43,000, and none more that half a million.

Contents

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Historyedit

Legislation authorizing the American Innovation $1 Coin Program was approved by the United States Senate on June 20, 2018, amending an earlier House bill, and the Senate-amended bill was approved by the U.S. House of Representatives on June 27, 2018.[1][2] It was signed into law by President Donald Trump on July 18, 2018.[3] The program was officially launched on December 14, 2018, with the release of a special introductory coin commemorating George Washington's signing of the first American patentinto law, for a new method of making potash and pearl ash.[4] However, these coins are not being released into circulation, and are only available at a premium in bags and rolls directly from the United States Mint. Uncirculated issues bear either the "P" or "D" mint mark signifying its mintage at the Philadelphia Mint or Denver Mint respectively. Proof and reverse proof coins struck for collectors bear the "S" mint mark signifying its mintage at the San Francisco Mint.

Edited by Mr.Bill347
Typo

On 2/3/2024 at 3:46 PM, powermad5000 said:

Not a terrible design but the obverse to me has a little too much field.

I kind of like that the fields are very large on the obv, really makes the Statue of Liberty stand out and gives it an added level of gravitas and meaning to me. Kind of a gutsy design choice but would have made finding one of these that looked good in circulation a real difficult task. The reverses on the Innovation Dollars haven't been that good for the most part, the one in the OP is ok but I would have rather seen a McCormick mechanical reaper or thresher, the Mint was probably correct in keeping the design simple though. I tend to associate steel plows or bottom plows with TX, OK, and the dust bowl.

On 2/3/2024 at 12:29 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

2024 Illinois Innovation dollars. Yeah I know , nobody like these.

I like them and have all the marks and strikes thru 2023, as one of the few modern coins I collect are dollar coins.  I'm pretty sure @Hoghead515 collects them too.  Some may not realize they are the circulating dollars to be issued if needed by the mint following completion of the Presidential dollar coins.

But the thing I think could have been designed better is the obverse.  While I like the large Liberty figure, the top area is a little barren, as if everything was liquid and drained to the bottom.

I think they should have spaced things out better, and put the year and mark on the obverse like most of the other coins instead on on the edge.  Like the Presidential dollars the year and mark are lightly punched incuse on the edge, which is the first thing to wear off or get gunked up.

Edited by EagleRJO

I must have been thinking that because they replaced the circulating Presidential dollars.  And when you look up circulating coins it refers you to the spec table which has the Innovation dollars.

https://www.usmint.gov/learn/coin-and-medal-programs/circulating-coins

I ran into the issue of worn or gunked up edge lettering with the Presidential dollars from rolls and have been getting them from dealers or direct from the mint since, so I'm not sure what they are currently striking for circulation.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 2/3/2024 at 12:29 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

2024 Illinois Innovation dollars. Yeah I know , nobody like these.

IMG_8168.jpeg

Yeah, and I am one of them.  Why?  For no other reason than being unalterably opposed to the placement of the date of the coin anywhere other than the obverse.  This "trend" began years ago with the introduction of those greasy Sacs.  What was the point? No room?  Now you've got a coin with yawning fields, and STILL the dates are incised or incused in barely legible print where you would least expect them to be, against history and convention. Ridiculous. I have no comment about the veneration of plows. Maybe a scythe would have been a far more interesting choice.  Rant over.

On 2/4/2024 at 9:19 AM, Mr.Bill347 said:

EagleRjo , 

4] However, these coins are not being released into circulation, and are only available at a premium in bags and rolls directly from the United States Mint.

I am beginning to think producing coins -- used less and less in ordinary commerce, is no longer economical.  So here's an idea :idea:  Why not sell 'em to the public? 

New York City Transit started with tickets and chop boxes, introduced nickels in '53, then nickels and dimes together, then a series of privately-minted tokens, gradually shifted to refillable MetroCards, first blue, then gold, and have since moved on to Tap and Go OMNY devices. The only coins that should be sold, if the Mint insists on selling them for an extravagant and at times, exorbitant price are bullion pieces. Ah well, this is something future generations ought to consider. Rant over.

On 2/16/2024 at 4:52 PM, RWB said:

Interesting that "innovation dollars" are all designed with no trace of artistic innovation.

No PUN intended! The reverses are all pretty good but those lame obverses suck! I turn mine over in the album because it doesn’t hurt your eyes as much. 😣 

A very simple "innovation" on the Illinois coins. Make the steel edge of the plow polished on all the coins -- that use of steel was the innovation. It's a small thing that might have made the reverse interesting. (The area is small and would take only a few minutes to re-polish after a few thousand strikes. With low mintages it would not be a lot of additional work. [Bean counters will disagree, of course.] )

On 2/16/2024 at 6:05 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

I don't know... the telephone was pretty cool. 

OK....I was referring to the coin design and use of angles, textures and other ways to better communicate the invention being promoted.