• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1976 bicentennial quarter damage
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Hi everyone just looking for some opinions on this quarter. It does have some interesting stuff happening on the arm. This photo in particular you can see a letter R in the damaged part. I've never come across anything that's actually an error, just mostly damage. Let me know your opinions, Insure appreciate it. Thanks, Eric

Zoom_1706901052824.png

Zoom_1706900985724.png

Please provide full cropped images of both sides of your coin. Microscope pictures do not help. Feel free to add them but do include the full coin. That is an interesting hit but still PMD post mint damage imo. Welcome to the forum.

As previously stated, please post full, cropped photos of each side of the coin, not just close-ups of the area on which you are focusing. Sometimes other parts of the coin provide significant clues.

Based on the photos, the coin just shows scrapes inflicted after the coin was struck, with the displaced metal moved to the side of the scrape. It does not appear to be either a die variety or a mint error. 

A letter ‘R’? Seriously? I’m looking for it and I can’t see it. 

On 2/3/2024 at 1:39 PM, EagleRJO said:

I can't see any "R" either.  Where?

Maybe he’s wearing a Rutgers football helmet?

I see an upside down squared off what looks like an upside down F to me in the bicep adjacent to the big hit in the bicep, but all I see is a lot of damage to this quarter.

On 2/3/2024 at 4:52 AM, VKurtB said:

A letter ‘R’? Seriously? I’m looking for it and I can’t see it. 

Yes. I thought it was odd too. Here is the area. If you rotate the picture slightly, counter clockwise you can see what appears to be a small R. The other picture has a small d  in the circled area. There are alot of other weird little anomalies. I was also curious how the damaged star would  transfer and not show damage between the two points? 

Thank you everyone for your knowledge and opinions. 

Zoom_1706901052824.png

Zoom_1706900985724.png

There is so much PMD in that small area I would want to see what the rest of the coin looks like?