• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there a guide on grading MS coins?
2 2

34 posts in this topic

I just took these out of their mint packaging so I could could put them in holders and see them better. The P Ike looked very good with an awesome gold tone, but I looks like only the very highest grade of this coin would be worth submitting. Do you guys know where I can find a guide on grading MS coins (at least ballpark) so I can tell if this is in the 61/65/70 range? 

Thank you!

1976 Coins.jpeg

1976 P Ike.jpeg

1976 P Ike Reverse.jpeg

1976 D Ike.jpeg

1976 D Ike Reverse.jpeg

On 2/1/2024 at 5:55 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Welcome to the forum. I would recommend two resources

first the Red Book coin valuation guide

second the PCGS coin valuation app which provides HD photos of every type of coin with values for comparison.

your set is nice because it displays toning which a lot of folks like.

additionally the bicentennial set has more interest as well.

👋

Thank you! Literally between my post and now, Amazon delivered my loop and red book! These look so good through a loop!

On 2/1/2024 at 7:03 PM, Epic Waffle said:

Thank you! Literally between my post and now, Amazon delivered my loop and red book! These look so good through a loop!

Jump into the red book and you will see things you never even thought of.

Hello and welcome to the forum. I have only one thing to add. There are numerous reference books regarding grading. My favorite reference on grading US coins is The Official ANA Grading Standards for United States Coins 6th Edition by Bressett & Bowers published by Whitman Publishing. This book has very accurate and plainly written descriptions, information and AG (about good)- MS 70 (mint state) grade example photographs of almost every US coin minted. This book will teach you how to grade each individual coin since grading each different type of coin has some precursors to determining its actual grade. This book will also teach you the basic overall coin grading stipulations and characteristics to look for on all coins as well. After some time on the coins (handling, viewing, critiquing and studying) and experience you should be able to learn this craft reasonably quickly if you dedicate your time. Goodluck and hope to see you answering newbies questions soon.

Edited by Mike Meenderink

[Following is my view, so unique (some might dismiss it as clearly uninformed, skewed, perhaps even delusional) that you will not see it expressed anywhere else...

To be fair about it, my perspective is higher Mint State grades as it relates to a series of French coins over a hundred years old.  I believe I have enough experience with my range, MS-65 thru MS-70, that I can identify what is not in that grade range, as opposed to what is.

Unlike the majority of coin connoisseurs, I accept a grader's opinion as one would words carved into granite.

I cannot imagine picking up a coin and, after careful scrutiny, deciding it is doubtless an MS-67 and submitting it with the expectation that a TPGS will agree.  Likewise, I cannot imagine acquiring a coin certified as an MS-67 and after consulting my library, voicing a vociferous objection to the assigned grade.

I am likely probably the only member who does not feel I need to have an intimate working knowledge of grading, per se, because I collect a single 16-coin series with which I am familiar. Besides, I pay doctors and dentists and accept their diagnoses without question and I know little about either. Why? Because that's their job. Likewise graders. That's what I pay them for. To simply do their job.

My feeling is if you submit a coin for grading, regardless of your knowledge, you will likely not get the specific MS grade you were expecting. And then what?  Similarly, if you acquire a certified coin and beg to differ with the verdict rendered, what are you going to do? Join the Crack-out Squad, of which there are countless numbers, and keep resubmitting it until you get the grade you feel is more appropriate and you can live with?  Is that cost-effective?

The most confounding statement I have ever come across, which was voiced by a distinguished member here on another thread recently, was related to a discussion of "adjectival grades."  He offered an accepted, standard definition of "Brilliant Uncirculated," or BU, as encompassing every Mint State grade from 60 thru 70.  Consider that in some series (mine included) the Fair Market Value, or FMV, of an MS-67 is twice that of an MS-66!  I regard that circumstance as a possible corruption hazard.  🤔 

By all means, immerse yourself in the wonderful world of Mint State grades, but bear in mind -- information, education and experience, notwithstanding -- your opinion may coincide, but never supersede a grader's, unless you are prepared to assume the prohibitive cost of shopping around for an opinion you can live with (and feel is more appropriate).  Just my two cents.]  

On 2/1/2024 at 11:38 PM, powermad5000 said:

Your P looks like it has been circulated. I see a lot of circulation marks on the obverse especially.

Your D also has some marks on the face and neck that I think would limit its grade to 64.

I also agree with @Coinbuf that your D has some surface issue, giving an odd splotchy coloring to it (not sure of PVC since you stated they were in mint packaging). I am thinking your P is just getting that coloring from the camera picking up the toning on that one and accentuating it. 

You stated you removed these from the mint packaging. That also exposed them to the environment and can further cause surface issues even in the capsules you put them in just as an fyi.

I have seen many coins from the older us mint cellophane wrappers that have a oily looking substance inside and on the coins. They have a yellow look also, many of the coins although uncirculated have a lot of bag marks, no FT and no FS coins in them.

On 2/5/2024 at 8:35 AM, J P M said:

I have seen many coins from the older us mint cellophane wrappers that have a oily looking substance inside and on the coins. They have a yellow look also, many of the coins although uncirculated have a lot of bag marks, no FT and no FS coins in them.

I believe the youngest collectors amongst us would be shocked to see how U.S. Mint coins were packed in the early 1950's.  Cardboard flat packs and flimsy, translucent glassine holders stapled together at top.  Carbon spots on proof coins, I was told, was normal and to be expected.  I doubt the Uncirculated mint sets were selectively hand-picked.  Very primitive by today's standards.  One more difference: the mint products were affordable; I feel some of the prices I have seen today are way out of line.  If gold continues to rise, it will be a U.S. Mint one-ounce Buffalo that will breach the $3,000 threshold first.

On 2/5/2024 at 5:35 AM, J P M said:

I have gone through quite a few of the 70's uncirculated sets. I was trying to piece some dansco books together. Looked them over at my local coin dealer and also on ebay. The philly 1976 ones were almost always a kind of golden color or even a wet sort of look with a white film on the coin. On one set the penny and nickel looks good but the other coins look bad. The denver usually always looked pretty good. The 1975 set looked good however. To get the varieties you have to have both sets. The gold one above is from  1976 set and the lighter one is from 1975 set.  If you happen to come across a set that all the coins look really nice I would not break it open. 1971, 1974 were the same. 

The sets were pretty cheap however. Around $5 or so which isn't that bad considering there is almost that much in change there anyways. 

20240211_161444.jpg

20240211_161452.jpg

20240211_162333.jpg

20240211_162430.jpg

20240211_162439.jpg

To answer the question in the topic, there is an entire course offered by the ANA on Grading Mint State Coins. It is just one part of the Numismatic Diploma program. I highly recommend joining the ANA. It is the best money you’ll ever spend in numismatics. Then take that course. Forget any book. ANY book. Take the ANA’s course. It’s a correspondence course. One caveat. It appears the Numismatic Diploma program is being rebuilt. It will be more online than in the past. 

Alternate viewpoint

[As this forum is dedicated to answering questions from those new to the hobby I am going to preface my remarks by stating, nay, conceding my credentials:  I am but a rank amateur, whose reputation lies in tatters and whose credibility is shot.

To me, grading is a one-way affair.  It is a skill that comes in handy if you are buying coins from sellers of "raw" coins.. You can use your grading knowledge, skill and/or experience as a bargaining chip  If you are selling -- something I do not believe is an activity I have ever engaged in -- accept the fact your opinion is secondary to that of the person to whom you are selling. He will magnify what you intend to minimize.  The "House" always wins.

If you are a buyer interested in buying MS coins that are authenticated, graded, certified, and encapsulated, your only choice is "to buy, or not to buy." If you are armed with an ANA diploma, do yourself a giant favor and deal with a reputable firm WITH a return policy if you are not completely satisfied.

If you are interested in selling your lovely slabbed coin or collection, whether you can recover the expenses entailed in certification will depend on a number of variables and the unwritten policy of the dealer you choose to deal with.  Again, the chances the person/dealer with whom you choose to deal, will slap his head and spontaneously blurt out,  "I can't believe it. Just what we were looking for!, is nil.  Once a coin is slabbed, the thrust of the inquiry will not be what's the grade? but who [which TPGS] graded it. And you will be remunerated accordingly.

Insofar as formal grading goes, right now my area of interest is limited to the upper half of the MS scale.  Difficult as it may seem to believe, only 50 years ago and going back to the time the Hittites were banging out electrums in Western Anatolia, the entire subject of grading covering the entire continuum of U.S. coins [minus Mint States which hadn't yet been "invented"] covered all of a single page in the coin collector's Bible, the Red Book. Every coin collector should have a basic understanding of coin collecting if only to recognize, e.g., NOT what an MS-67 should look like, but what it shouldn't.. And if you think education is expensive, as the saying goes, try ignorance.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Minor die polishing

On 2/11/2024 at 8:46 PM, VKurtB said:

To answer the question in the topic, there is an entire course offered by the ANA on Grading Mint State Coins.... It appears the Numismatic Diploma program is being rebuilt. It will be more online than in the past. 

Online???!  :whatthe:  (Welcome home!)

Be aware that in the bulk of the rest of the world, varying only slightly by country, third party grading almost does not exist. Numismatists are EXPECTED to be able to grade, or indeed to REJECT the grading of others. In Great Britain, there is a healthy skepticism of third party grading, but in Germany, third party grading is treated with something approaching complete disdain and hatred. France lies somewhere in between. The fetish of third party grading is nearly a uniquely American “need”, where having a fat checkbook is considered an adequate substitute for numismatic knowledge. “Why do I need to know how to grade? I can outsource that to Sarasota or Southern California.” What could be more quintessentially American? Nothing. 

Edited by VKurtB

@VKurtB :  As you have personally investigated this matter, intermittently, over an extended period of time and my internet forays over the past five years clearly confirms your observations and my own suspicions, I wholeheartedly agree.  What this means in a practical sense, particularly for collectors of world coins who participate in the Set Registry is, the onus is on you to correctly identify the coin you seek from a photo array and pay for the privilege of having a TPGS validate your choice with formal certification.  Many collectors and dealers attend coin shows and share their stories here.  I would be curious to know if you have ever run into the same people on your globe-trotting sprees.

This may offend a great many more people than intended, but I fail to see anything wrong with restoring architecture, classic cars, and yes -- coins to their original condition and former glory.  If making this admission automatically disqualifies me from continuing to enjoy my status as a Rising Star, so be it.  I am prepared to accept my punishment.

On 2/11/2024 at 8:18 PM, VKurtB said:

but in Germany, third party grading is treated with something approaching complete disdain and hatred. France lies somewhere in between. The fetish of third party grading is nearly a uniquely American “need”, where having a fat checkbook is considered an adequate substitute for numismatic knowledge. “Why do I need to know how to grade? I can outsource that to Sarasota or Southern California.” What could be more quintessentially American? Nothing. 

That is very interesting indeed.

On 2/2/2024 at 9:26 AM, Epic Waffle said:

I would like to thank you all for the information and advice you have given. I really do appreciate it. Things like this give me confidence in becoming a more serious collector! In the past it has always felt so daunting, but with people like you around to help I feel like I can keep moving forward. Little things like learning to say "submit for grading" instead of "get it graded", and "loupe" instead of "loop" I notice and remember from your feedback. I hope to one day be proficient enough to be the one giving advice and feedback instead. 

Do you have any particular coin series or type that you are interested in ?

On 2/12/2024 at 9:07 AM, VKurtB said:

What I did find in Berlin was no shortage of world collectors who were eager to discuss their views on TPG. There is sufficient “blame” to go around. I noticed that past German collectors tended to be very fond of polishing their coins. It was uncommon to find anything more than a few decades old that had NOT BEEN harshly cleaned. Toning was nearly completely absent. There simply are VAAAAAAST differences in collecting cultures. What we regard as “normal”, or even virtuous, is regarded with disdain over there. So called “great” collections headed for the international (including U.S.) auction block, and therefore headed for NGC or ₽¢G$, frequently come back with a clear majority of coins in Details holders. A typical German collector with a coin with peripheral rainbow toning will want to polish that “junk” off the coin and return it to blast white status. I spent a good amount of time at the hotel bar discussing these things with a VERY august international group, including the owner of MA-SHOPS. (I bought the first round of 0,5 liter beers.)

Seems like these practices and their disdain for TPGs being neutral arbiters of grade/condition...means they are DECADES behind us in being serious collectors, no ?

On 2/15/2024 at 11:11 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Seems like these practices and their disdain for TPGs being neutral arbiters of grade/condition...means they are DECADES behind us in being serious collectors, no ?

No, they have managed to retain their sanity.  No fanaticism over this; no obsessing over that.  Just normal everyday people.  That's the way it used to be here.  You had your circulated coins and if you sought something better, you got 'em every year for a nominal sum in Uncirculated Mint and Proof Sets.  Your proof set had a carbon spot?  You'd be told that's normal and to be expected on an older set. Recently, on the Rooster thread I reported the first instance I had ever seen of an example baldly described as a Counterfeit Forgery. It's beautiful. The only anomaly I recognized right away was a discrepancy in weight, 6.33 vs 6.45 grams.  The fineness of the gold is identical to that of a genuine one.  It's listed exactly like every coin  listed. They even offer a COA!  Picture Stack's Bowers doing that!  Price?  Same as a genuine. $500+.  The only question I have is why would anyone bother when the only difference is some  0.12 gram of a 90% pure gold coin that was then (1904) worth 20 French francs?  To go through all that trouble, for what? I'd love to own it, but could I convince a TPGS here to accept it?  RWB is busy researching stuff.  Just Bob is hunting elusive tokens down.  My one and only problem would be watching my back to make sure powermad5000 doesn't sneak up on me, demand I surrender it, and take delight in destroying it i/f/o my eyes. 

That's Europe. Laid back. Civilized. No agonizing over minute, imperceptible without a loupe, surface "damage."  If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't.  "DECADES behind us"?  No. coins are not just a commodity to them.  It's just a hobby they've been pursuing at their leisure for many many centuries longer than we have. It's not all about the Benjamin$ overseas and I thank Kurt for bringing this unique perspective to our collective attention.