• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kevin Flynn auction of die varieties at Heritage

15 posts in this topic

I hope you get Top Dollar for each and every one of your lots.  A lifetime of dedicated research and sacrifice deserves a fitting end and recompense. The culmination of efforts devoted to a specialized branch of numismatics is likely what the late, great Oldhoopster may have had in mind when he spoke glowingly of those who contribute to "the body of knowledge" and share it freely with others.  Well done. Very well done!  (thumbsu

Edited by Henri Charriere
Add one word.

Lots of interesting varieties here and a great many coins that have been featured in Kevin's books. Hope the sale goes really well!

I've put the link and reference to Morgan and Peace dollars on VAMworld.

Edited by RWB

Kevin added this on another site to remain nameless :)

"There is going to be a second auction of certified non die varieties such as my collection of buffalo nickels, and also a 1974-D silver Ike, one of my favorite coins. This is something new for Heritage, especially including the links for the books, they have been extremely helpful."

On 2/1/2024 at 6:54 PM, ldhair said:

Wrong forum to post coins for sell.

Be nice.  The distinguished member is not posting any coins for "sale."  He is merely alerting the congregation to an upcoming series of "auctions" featuring a lifetime's worth of collecting and studying coins in his specific areas of interest.   :whistle:

Let me put it this way. If every member on this site were to use the US coin forum to advertise, what would it be like here?

On 2/1/2024 at 7:46 PM, ldhair said:

Let me put it this way. If every member on this site were to use the US coin forum to advertise, what would it be like here?

I am not buying, selling, or trading coins on this site.  I am simply listing an auction that some collectors might find interesting.  Auction catalogues are listed on this and other sites all the time when there is something interesting therein.

The other cool thing about this auction is what Heritage did, which was a first, they included a link to each of the die variety sections, which includes all die varieties I documented for those series, this includes series like the Trade Dollars, which I never completed the book.  This provides detailed photographs of everything.

Heritage spent a great deal of time accomplishing this, I believe this permits them to take plate coins used in a book and connect the two in the auction, plus the collector can see what other varieties are in those series that they might not have known.

Edited by Kevinj

On 2/1/2024 at 9:21 PM, Coinbuf said:

That is a lot of coins, good luck with the auction.

While you are correct that the marketplace section is the right place, I find this to be far more interesting than the usual parking lot "what error is this" threads or the babble of QA's threads.

🐓:  Is this Q.A. character even still around?

H.C.:  Merely unconfirmed rumor that cycles in and out from time to time. By the way, it has been proven with a measurable degree of scientific certainty that the inadvertent posting of coins for sale on this Forum would cause the Earth to wobble on its axis and throw its revolutionary trajectory around the sun off by a cataclysmic 3.7%.  🤣

To the OP:  I look forward to reviewing the delectable morsels featured in your various auction lots at the earliest opportunity.  (thumbsu

Your auction lots, now that Heritage Auctions has issued its promotional materials publicizing the multi-session, multi-day event series, has clearly exceeded my expectations.  The entire effort undertaken with an eye toward errors and oddities appears to be one of a kind.  You may well have achieved the ultimate status: provenanced to the Flynn collection.  I wish you all the best!

On 2/6/2024 at 7:23 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Your auction lots, now that Heritage Auctions has issued its promotional materials publicizing the multi-session, multi-day event series, has clearly exceeded my expectations.  The entire effort undertaken with an eye toward errors and oddities appears to be one of a kind.  You may well have achieved the ultimate status: provenanced to the Flynn collection.  I wish you all the best!

It is so humbling and nice to believe your hard work was worth the time and effort, I know so many today have equally dedicated their lives to helping others in the hobby in their own ways.

Its a special place in our hobby that we learn and share together.

Thanks