• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1877s trade dollar ... error??
1 1

12 posts in this topic

So I am very very new to the Hobby but I came across this really cool 1877 s trade dollar and it seems like to me there's an error on the back would somebody be able to help me to confirm that or something anything thank you.... into whatever is next to the wing on the left side it's not dirt

IMG_20240201_100721941_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240201_100711733_HDR.jpg

Oh my God now what I wanted to hear LOL but you know any other ways I could verify it being counterfeit or not because Google let me tell you not helpful actually I will say this so helpful that it's not helpful

Coinbuf beat me to it but I was just going to say the same thing, counterfeit.
Besides having that cast look, the reverse is wrong. There are two types of    
reverses on Trade Dollars and that is neither one of them. Looks like a    
combination of both types.

If you bought it, hope that you did not pay too much.

Edited by Greenstang

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

The trade dollar is, unfortunately, one of the most widely counterfeited U.S. coins.  This one isn't deceptive if you know what the genuine pieces look like.  The reverse features an imitation of the "Type 1" reverse with a berry below the eagle's claw that wasn't used on coins dated after 1876. Even if that were not so, the weak rims, stars and lettering, lumps of extra metal in places, and odd color and surface texture indicate at a glance that it is not a genuine coin.

Please refer to the print and online resources identified in the following forum topics to acquire the knowledge that you will need to collect U.S. coins:

You should also attend such venues as coin shows and coin club meetings where you can examine a variety of genuine coins and speak with knowledgeable collectors and dealers.

On 2/1/2024 at 1:29 PM, Mskp223 said:

... but you know any other ways I could verify it being counterfeit or not ...

Compare the coin to certified genuine examples for an 1877-S T$1 shown on NGC Coin Explorer or PCG$ CoinFacts [like the attached].  Not only is the reverse wrong as noted but they mixed up the Type-1/Type-2 obverse details.  Having the wrong reverse is a classic counterfeit indicator.

And I doubt it weighs 420 grains (27.22 grams), stated right on the coin, so you could put it on a scale with a 0.01g accuracy.

If you recently purchased this coin I hope you can still return it, and stick with certified coins in the future.

q877-S T$1 PCGS MS.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

Well thank each and every one of you for crushing my hopes and dreams.... just kidding I really do appreciate yall for your knowledge its very inspiring and devastating in a way but I'm eager to learn so these counterfeits are a part of learning right

On 2/1/2024 at 5:38 PM, Mskp223 said:

Well thank each and every one of you for crushing my hopes and dreams.... just kidding I really do appreciate yall for your knowledge its very inspiring and devastating in a way but I'm eager to learn so these counterfeits are a part of learning right

I am sorry to see you got swindled. This hobby is a tough one to start out by getting a bad coin. You have a good attitude, I hope this coin does not scare you away.  Put it in a flip with a label. (Bad Trade)   

On 2/1/2024 at 2:38 PM, Mskp223 said:

Dealers and some collectors call it tuition. One useful thing to absorb is which coins are most heavily counterfeited. Two main categories: those that circulated heavily in China, and those of high value.

On 2/1/2024 at 4:38 PM, Mskp223 said:

I'm eager to learn so these counterfeits are a part of learning right

Hello and welcome!

The vast amount of counterfeit coins in the marketplace is a part of learning. It is important for someone new to get familiar with what genuine specimens look like. This is a bad counterfeit with mushy dentils and poorly formed rims in addition to incorrect details. The metal piles you noticed unfortunately are a dead giveaway of a poorly made fake.

You asked of another way to tell. A genuine trade dollar should weigh 27.22g. Being the metal used to make this is incorrect and is most likely cheap pot metal, the weight of yours should be wildly off (most likely under weight).

A genuine 1877 S trade dollar looks like the one pictured below that I own graded by NGC as AU 50. Note the evenness of the details, especially the rims and dentils as well as the fact that on your specimen, some of the stars between 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock sort of fade into the field. Sorry, I don't have a pic of the reverse of this one.

IMG_20160724_144224.jpg

Well thank each and every one of you for crushing my hopes and dreams.... just kidding

With a thick skin amd sence of humor you should fit right in here.

... so these counterfeits are a part of learning right

Yes, as noted consider your initial "tuition paid in full".  Maybe put that on a flip label as a future reminder.  Hopefully there won't be any further installments.  (:

If you don’t mind me asking how did you acquire this coin as the impression is you are stuck with it.  Perhaps passed down, or bought on Etsy/eBay on a whim one bored night a while ago and you are just now looking more closely at it.

In any case hopefully reboot your coin collecting adventure with a better start listening to the sage advice of very experienced collectors who will say to "know the coin before buying the coin", starting with the attached references and the topics Sandon linked above.  😉 

ForumWelcome.png

Book-RedBookANA.jpg.590c07a3dc1a0e80939425e058f3f128.jpg