• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VKurtB in Berlin Thread

18 posts in this topic

I just found out that next year, this show runs Thursday to Saturday, 30 Jan. - 1 Feb. 2025. You can do the show and travel back with your groundhog. 

On 2/1/2024 at 2:32 PM, leeg said:

Happy to see you can live your life as you choose.

Yeah, it only took almost 69 years to accomplish it. 

On 2/2/2024 at 9:41 AM, VKurtB said:

image.thumb.jpg.d204445244801f15f82475e59a141124.jpg20 minutes until show opens:

Everyone is drinking powerful kaffee. That stuff supercharges my digestive tract.

Being a USA collector, among other things, makes me “exotic” here. There are almost no American companies here. Whitman Publishing is the notable exception. Everyone, step right up and get your “rot Buch”. Le Rouge Français publisher is also here. 

I picked up my 2024 United Kingdom uncirculated set, with the commemoratives included, a 2024 Britannia ounce, all with Chucky da Turd on the obverse, and the “show only” 2024 Japan mint set. Switzerland is only dealing their commemoratives. The mint Passport contains 24 coins. Take THAT, ANA.

Edited by VKurtB

On 2/2/2024 at 8:01 AM, VKurtB said:

I picked up my 2024 United Kingdom uncirculated set, with the commemoratives included, a 2024 Britannia ounce, all with Chucky da Turd on the obverse, and the “show only” 2024 Japan mint set. Switzerland is only dealing their commemoratives. The mint Passport contains 24 coins. Take THAT, ANA.

When you buy something over there can you just mail it to yourself instead of carrying it around. 

On 2/2/2024 at 8:01 AM, VKurtB said:

“show only” 2024 Japan mint set

Those are always popular and damn nice looking coins. What is the medal in the set this year?

Edited by Fenntucky Mike

On 2/2/2024 at 2:13 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Those are always popular and damn nice looking coins. What is the medal in the set this year?

I’ll add the photo here later. It’s some kind of dragon. “Duh”, right?

Edited by VKurtB

The Thai Mint is here. They got a new monarch in 2019. The dude with the glasses is gone. The new one got married on 1 May, 2019 and was coronated three days later. Busy week. “An heir and a spare.” Get on that. 

On 2/3/2024 at 4:25 PM, powermad5000 said:

Thank you @VKurtB for allowing me to live vicariously through you in this thread. (thumbsu

Troo dat!  I love running on-site commentary!  (thumbsu

I follow Baldwin's podcasts from England. It's interesting to see them display coin cabinets when showing coins. They then explain that certification hasn't caught on in Europe. They display the occasional NGC slab though. Apparently, certification is a rarity in Germany as Kurt observed. 

On 2/5/2024 at 11:39 PM, Tyrock said:

I follow Baldwin's podcasts from England. It's interesting to see them display coin cabinets when showing coins. They then explain that certification hasn't caught on in Europe. They display the occasional NGC slab though. Apparently, certification is a rarity in Germany as Kurt observed. 

They appear to be normal, civilized collectors.  They do not wring hands, gnash teeth or otherwise agonize endlessly over coins, particularly in the Mint State grades.  That is why he has counseled me and others to concentrate on the best of the best, otherwise known as "stempelglantz" (ST) in Germany, "Fleur De Coin"  (FDC) in France, both of which correspond to the grades of from MS-65 to MS-70 in the USA.  One of the few exceptions he makes for sight-unseen, in-person examination, are the coins and coin sets issued by the various Mints of the World.  He is one of a kind.