• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can someone help me identify the mint mark type for this 1979 Proof set? Also, what is this box around the mint mark?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

79 had two type mint marks I think you have the type one on that coin. The filled S also called the boxy S. The pcgs mint set price guide shows $12 for that set but the type two says $50. Both are a bit high IMO.

Edited by J P M

On 1/30/2024 at 9:27 AM, J P M said:

79 had two type mint marks I think you have the type one on that coin. The filled S also called the boxy S

Thank you! The article I was reading with reference pictures did not show the box so I was a little confused about it. I really appreciate your time (and others that help out on this forum).

Yes, the 1979-S proof half dollar features the "Type 1" "S" mintmark from a worn punch that had been used for many years. The depression around the mintmark that I assume you are referring to as a "box" was created by metal on the die being displaced by the punch and raised on the die so that it appears as a depression on the coin. 

Check each coin in the set, as some 1979 proof sets had "Type 1" mintmarks on some coins and "Type 2" mintmarks on others.  

On 1/30/2024 at 10:21 AM, Epic Waffle said:

image.thumb.jpeg.fe64a13c26cd1cf528c09f07fec35a09.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2f3a9f06388e94ac82ed00a83ebb188d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b0fb9f46529229bfa249e6d15ef77bdf.jpeg

What does your holder look like? On my set the Kennady is in the center. Nope I had to go take a look it was the SBA took the place of the Ike and it was goofy looking.

Edited by J P M