• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Using a PCGS number as a 'pedigree' for a NGC crossover
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hello!

For my Registry sets I frequently need to crossover PCGS slabs (non-US coins).  You/NGC usually returns the original removed PCGS labels to me along with the new NGC slab.  I used to send the labels to PCGS to notify them that the coin was no longer in their slab and thus should be removed from their database but it never happens, so I stopped wasting my time and postage doing that.  Being that some of what I cross is somehow unique as to item or grade it is annoying to have a unique item that wrongly apparently exists as a second one in the other database.

So, as a solution, can I use the PCGS slab number as a 'pedigree' on my NGC crossover slab label?  I suppose regular 'pedigree' fees would apply but that would be fine.

Please advise.  Thanks. :-)

Ralph

• Administrator

Hello @highway98e, thank you for contacting us. It is ultimately up to the graders to determine if a pedigree request can be accommodated. This request will likely be denied since putting the old PCGS certificate number may cause confusion on the label. Instead, we would suggest that you write on the NGC submission form to have your old PCGS labels sent back to you. We will do our best to accommodate this request for you. 

Please let us know if you have any additional questions. Thank you!

Hello KaileeS.

The PCGS labels are automatically returned, no special request is needed.  I have a drawer full of old PCGS labels :-/ 

I am thinking something like 'ex-PCGS nnnnnnnn' as the requested 'pedigree' line.  Don't see how that might be confusing...?

I currently have a Peru gold MS68 that is a standalone highest graded at PCGS (by multiple points) and would also be standalone highest graded at NGC if it crossed at the same grade.

Can you pass the question to 'the graders' if they are who make this kind or decision, or to an NGC exec who might be responsible for same if it is a company policy issue?  I'd like to get a definitive answer before I waste time/effort/money on requesting the 'pedigree' only to be later denied.

Thanks again :-)

Ralph

• Administrator

Hello Ralph,

Thank you for contacting us. I have checked with management and they have confirmed that this is not a pedigree that NGC would allow on our labels at this time. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Please let us know if you need help with anything else. Thank you!