• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a real wheat pennies error
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Hello and welcome!

What you see on your Lincoln Wheat Cent is heavy circulation wear. The rims which are meant to protect the design of the coin have worn down to a level that they are no longer protecting the design elements from wear so you are seeing the wear progress from the rim inwards toward the center of the coin which is normal for a coin with such heavy wear. If the wear continued, eventually all of the outer lettering would disappear and only the outlines of the largest design elements would be left.

Note the wheat ears on the reverse of the cent are worn smooth. On the obverse, not just the date but the motto and LIBERTY all have suffered the same severe wear.

I am not sure what would make you think this cent had any error.

Im new to coins and just asking  for another opinion people were saying light strike and rough finish and i didnt understand how the side edges the rim are just as high as the face but it wore lower inside the coin to the higher point not from high to low is all on just the face side not the back

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

As stated, your Lincoln cent is simply well-worn, grading Fair to About Good. The rims don't always wear away completely before the lettering and date become partly illegible.  Compare it to the photos of the coins representing the grades "FR02" and "AG03" on PCGS Photograde at https://www.pcgs.com/photograde#/Lincoln/Grades. It isn't possible to assess the quality of the strike the coin would have originally had when this worn, although it appears to have been a mint marked issue from the nineteen teens or twenties, which frequently were weakly struck. All mint marked Lincoln cents of that era were circulation strikes that had the same quality of "finish", which couldn't be assessed on a coin this worn in any case.

In the future, please crop your photos so that they show to the greatest extent possible only the coin and not the surrounding surface.

As one who is "new to coins", you may benefit from the resources identified in the following forum topics:

I strongly recommend that you familiarize yourself with the basics of U.S. coins, such as types, dates and mints, and grading before venturing into more advanced topics such as mint errors. Contrary to what you may have seen on some websites, it is extremely unusual to find significant mint errors in your pocket change or among accumulations of circulated coins. 

Thank you for that info and was asking to educate and was calling it an error  from what some one said on another  forum and it was from a roll of wheats pennies i had gotten with my seated liberty dimes and walking liberty halfs i got from a coin shop and knew the basics mint grade all that and know normal coin wear just didnt know they could wear from the lowest point first  and wanted a second opinion of why the other people were calling it an error but thank you for the info and for the reading material

On 1/27/2024 at 3:38 PM, BLDunn85 said:

Is this a real error or just wear you can see the 19 on the date and the finish is smooth 

No. It's merely badly worn.

Please avoid u-tube coin error videos. They are garbage.

Thank you and lol no doubt this was on a coin forum i never messed with error coins and unless there ngc or pcgs certified i dont get them unless there silver then they get silver tested and thrown in a crown royal bag for the just incase fund or i have to buy a lot just to get that one coin that way i know there real and graded and theres no doubts 

On 1/27/2024 at 5:23 PM, BLDunn85 said:

was asking to educate and was calling it an error from what someone said on another forum ... wanted a second opinion of why the other people were calling it an error

What forum and what error did they identify the coin as having?

On 1/27/2024 at 5:23 PM, BLDunn85 said:

... just didnt know they could wear from the lowest point first

The lowest point would be the fields, and with that much wear it would be impossible to figure out which elements started to wear first, which would typically be Lincoln's head on the obverse and the "wheat ears" on the reverse.  See the "Photograde" link Sandon provided for examples of how very worn Lincoln wheat cents look.

On 1/27/2024 at 7:50 PM, BLDunn85 said:

It was on reddit

I would take that with pounds of salt, not just a grain, and stick with more reputable coin collecting sites.