• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quarter that looks unique
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Welcome to the forum

Please explain what you mean by “looks  unique”. At first glance it looks like a regular quarter.   
Also please get in the habit of rotating your photos properly and show both sides.

On 1/22/2024 at 5:33 PM, Marvel Maddness said:

17059626826653297899444110811512.thumb.jpg.4208c661c85781b190ef6b4e6cb19128.jpg

Welcome to the Forum.

What about the quarter looks unique? Going to need a little more to go on before we can venture a guess. 

Edit: Didn't realize that San Francisco minted circulation strikes and clad proofs for these so the "S" mint mark does not automatically mean it's a proof or silver. doh!

Edited by Fenntucky Mike

On 1/22/2024 at 3:44 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Welcome to the Forum.

What about the quarter looks unique? Going to need a little more to go on before we can venture a guess. 

It's a proof coin, with "S" mint mark, and if you found it in circulation it's a nice find since they are silver. 

Are you sure its silver Mike?  We don't even know the date.

@Marvel Maddness Welcome to the forum, please in the future provide a properly oriented cropped photo of both sides of any coin you have a question about.   From your only photo I see a proof coin that was spent into circulation and is now what is called an impaired proof.   This has taken away any numismatic value the coin had and its value is $.25.

On 1/22/2024 at 5:44 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Welcome to the Forum.

Edit: Didn't realize that San Francisco minted circulation strikes for these so the "S" mint mark does not automatically mean it's a proof or silver. doh!

It is thicker than a quarter but doesn't look like a regular quarter..could it be a proof quarter

On 1/22/2024 at 5:56 PM, Coinbuf said:

Are you sure its silver Mike?  We don't even know the date.

I'm not, I forgot that San Fran minted circulation strikes and clad proofs for these. I edited my post just before you posted. 

Edited by Fenntucky Mike

Welcome to the NGC chat board. 

Your quarter dollar was struck as a proof, which is a coin specially made for collectors and issued in a sealed proof set with proof examples of other coins struck that year. These coins are made with mirror fields that contrast with frosted devices and lettering. Unfortunately, someone removed your coin from a proof set and spent it, resulting in the coin's surfaces becoming nicked and scratched. We can't tell what date or issue it is without seeing the reverse of the coin. Based on the obverse design, it was struck between 1999 and 2021.

As proof quarters were made in both copper nickel clad and silver versions in each of these years, we would need to see the edge to tell whether it is clad or silver. If the edge is mostly red or brown, it is clad and of little or no value beyond face value.  If it is white throughout, it is silver and currently worth about $4 for its silver content.

Edited by Sandon
added greeting

On 1/22/2024 at 5:59 PM, Marvel Maddness said:

It is thicker than a quarter but doesn't look like a regular quarter..could it be a proof quarter

Look at the edge as Sandon suggested or if you have a scale with .00 decimal weigh it, silver should be close to 6.25g and a clad 5.67g. 

The coin is a clad proof that has been placed into circulation. They are known as impaired proofs. I have found two. 

I agree with Kurt that it looks like a clad proof quarter that found its way into circulation.  Those pesky modern clad coins are always trying to get back into circulation where they belong. :fear:

ForumWelcome.png

Edited by EagleRJO

Back a few years ago (2012) the mint sold these as "S" mint rolls it could be one of those if it isn't what @VKurtB said as an impaired proof.  i have no clue why i started collecting those "S" mint rolls but i have a box of them that i can even pick up anymore .