• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Always wanted it but never acquired one. Why?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I always wanted an 1837 Feuchwanger, "cent," but was too young and couldn't afford one.  I suppose I could afford one now, but the allure of ownership, once strong, faded over time.  I am too old now.  There are members here who own fine examples they post now and again.  I am content with that.  

How about you?  (If you've ever wanted to proclaim to the world you've always had a secret crush on those $4-dollar gold "Stellas," now's your chance.)

Many coins of different series. Money of course is at the root of it. There are many nice coins I would like to get but don't have the funds to get them. And some sets I have been working on don't get finished because I come across another coin that garners my fancy. Also, sometimes grade is the issue. Unless something is incredibly hard to get in MS condition I will go after a lesser grade, but I have been trying to only acquire pieces in MS. A few on my list offhand without looking at any of my lists that I still have not gotten are 1811 half cent with straight grade (non MS), 1893 Morgan (in MS), and 1874 CC Trade Dollar (in MS).

On 1/22/2024 at 7:32 PM, J P M said:

I also am always looking to pick up the classic silver commemoratives. But within the last year the prices are going way too high for what they are. In 2021 I passed on a MS63 Pilgram at $75 thinking I could get 64 or 65 for only little more. Well, that day has come and gone.:cry:.. LoL

Are these commemoratives down in price from the 1980's bubble prices ?  Have they come back a good bit or what ?

I started to build a set of the First Lady gold coins. After a few years, I did the math. I could not believe what it was going to cost to keep going and complete the set. I gave up.

One other story. Many years ago, I started a Matte Proof Lincoln set. I kept waiting on the 1909 VDB. It was the last coin I needed. Watched the price of the coin more than double over the years and never bought the coin. 

On 1/23/2024 at 11:28 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Are these commemoratives down in price from the 1980's bubble prices ?  Have they come back a good bit or what ?

The 1989 crash knocked commems down 50%-90% in value.

We've had 147% inflation since 1989.

In 1989, an Albany in MS65 was $1450 ($3582 in todays money). Today it's a $300 coin. 

On 1/22/2024 at 7:14 PM, gmarguli said:

Not a single coin, but a complete set of classic silver commems in gem. I've started and stopped the set many times over many years. 

The biggest stopping block for me has been the fact that they have performed so unbelievably poorly over the years. I can't bring myself to park $150K into a set of coins that very well will sell for the same in 10-20 years.

With the way things are going with modern remakes, if I had $150K, I might as well spend it on lobbyists to introduce legislation to have the US Mint reissue modern versions of the most beautiful designs. 

On 1/24/2024 at 2:02 PM, olympicsos said:

With the way things are going with modern remakes, if I had $150K, I might as well spend it on lobbyists to introduce legislation to have the US Mint reissue modern versions of the most beautiful designs. 

Absolutely agree! I really like the modern Morgan and Peace dollars!