• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to store a non slabbed 1856 Liberty Head $2.5?

5 posts in this topic

What is best practice for storing? Is a flip acceptable or is there a risk over time?

I have kept a 1856 Liberty Head $2.5 in a flip and have been on the fence of sending it into a third party.

I know it would be a good idea for authenticity purposes and it could grade well but at the moment I'm fine as is and just don't want it to get messed up.

For now it's in a flip inside of a zipped binder.

Thank you!

Edited by NeverEnoughCoins09
misspelling

I think a non PVC flip would be fine for this. I say non PVC as to not use some super old flip you have laying around. Gold is more forgiving than other metals so you have less to worry about. Keep it in the flip in good environment with low humidity and it should be fine. Just make sure you don't get "flip rub" having it against other flips that are being removed and replaced frequently.

A mylar or other non-PVC flip is generally satisfactory, but you should be careful that the coin doesn't fall out or move around too much in the flip. There are holders specifically made for individual quarter eagles, including the lucite sandwich holders with screws, and those that resemble grading service holders.  Try local coin dealers, or look on coin supply sites such as amosadvantage.com, whitman.com, or wizardcoinsupply.com.  

On 1/21/2024 at 2:49 PM, NeverEnoughCoins09 said:

... it could grade well but at the moment I'm fine as is and just don't want it to get messed up

In my mind it's a no-brainer that a potentially valuable coin like that, if it grades out well, should go in an aftermarket slab specifically made for the coin given the potential pitfalls of flips.

On 1/21/2024 at 4:07 PM, powermad5000 said:

Just make sure you don't get "flip rub" having it against other flips that are being removed and replaced frequently

Technically "flip rub" is a rub mark you generally can get from sliding a coin into and out of the double pocket mylar/vinyl plastic flips.  So you can knock an MS coin down to an AU simply by putting a coin into a flip or sliding it out.

You may be thinking of scratches you can cause by storing stapled cardboard flips up against each other, where the staple of one flip contacts the coin of an adjacent flip.

See the Official Guide to Coin Grading by Travers which discusses both of these issues at length under the sections covering handling, storage and contact marks, and which is why I don't use either one of those methods for coin storage.  ;)

2131202642_OfficialGuidetoCoinGradingandCounterfeitDetection.jpg.5159925831d4e056272a4631347a970f.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO