• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a zinc bubble in my 2007 proof penny?
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Like the title said. I have the full set of proof coins from 2007 and the penny has this hole in it. All coins are still in the government issued holders. Is this a zinc bubble, and does it do anything to the value?

WIN_20240119_16_01_48_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240119_16_02_54_Pro.jpg

Edited by Epic Waffle
More info

Yikes!!! There is a whole bunch of “orange peeling” on those fields and yes, that corrosion spot does indeed lower the coin’s value. I have never seen a modern proof cent that far gone. 

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Unfortunately, coins sometimes do deteriorate even in sealed government packaging and in grading service holders. This is particularly an issue with the copper plated zinc cents made since late 1982. This deterioration can't be reversed and negatively impacts the coin's value. 

That proof was struck on a defective planchet that had a metal impurity or foreign inclusion within the planchet. That area of the copper clad layer was not properly adhered to the zinc core because of this inclusion. The copper clad layer peeled and failed at the time of or soon after minting. The zinc core then quickly starts to rot or oxidize to a black green color. Bad break on a proof coin. Cheers.

Edited by Mike Meenderink

On 1/19/2024 at 8:49 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

That proof was struck on a defective planchet that had a metal impurity or foreign inclusion within the planchet

Its just a known cladding adherence problem common to copper clad zinc cents possibly combined with contaminates that's not linked to inclusions.  Have you been drinking again and mulling over "molecular copper effervescence" again. :baiting: (:

Edited by EagleRJO

Just a note: proof coins from 1983 on have DOUBLE the thickness of copper plating that the circulation type cents have. For a 2007 to have that level of surface problems is truly unusual. The 2009 proof and uncirculated set cents are the exception. They are of the old classic composition. 

On 1/19/2024 at 8:16 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

You have no idea what you are talking about. Please stop.

Maybe it’s a flea, or a mite? :roflmao:

Thank you everyone for the feedback. Should i just leave it alone for now? i also noticed some weird lines on the John Adams coin. This set seems to have had some trouble.

WIN_20240119_16_04_48_Pro.jpg

Considering all the issues appearing on these coins in the set and knowing the problems cannot be remedied, I would make a move to sell this set to someone willing to buy it, eat my cost losses and purchase another set without the defects you are finding present in this current set. Being its a 2000's set, it should not be too hard nor too expensive to find a replacement set.

Great googly moogly. Could it be that these were already sold on the secondary market BECAUSE they are so far gone?

On 1/20/2024 at 1:52 PM, VKurtB said:

Great googly moogly. Could it be that these were already sold on the secondary market BECAUSE they are so far gone?

Haha yeah it is feeling that way.

On 1/20/2024 at 1:52 PM, VKurtB said:

Sure that's possible. That set could possibly get sold many times on the secondary market due to those issues. The real question is when does it get to the point that the set gets cracked open, whatever is still good gets slabbed individually and the impaired coins get tossed into circulation? Or the entire set gets tossed into circulation after being cracked out?

On 1/21/2024 at 2:25 PM, powermad5000 said:

Sure that's possible. That set could possibly get sold many times on the secondary market due to those issues. The real question is when does it get to the point that the set gets cracked open, whatever is still good gets slabbed individually and the impaired coins get tossed into circulation? Or the entire set gets tossed into circulation after being cracked out?

Or cracked out and NOT slabbed, but set into #8000 series Dansco albums. The 2007 sets mark the start of Presidential Dollars. 

Edited by VKurtB