• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1892-S Morgan Dollar I believe I found a cud, die crack and possible date doubling?

7 posts in this topic

First I want to apologize if I should have posted on the original post or made a new one for a new question. Also I know my pictures are not the best so if you need better ones I will try my best sorry in advance!

After closer inspection I believe I have found a cud on the rim, a die crack on right side of 9 top to middle and maybe another above tail of 9. Possible doubling on the 8 and possibly other numbers. Looking at VAMs for this date. 

Any info is appreciated, thank you for your time everyone!

Screenshot_20240118_101905_Chrome.thumb.jpg.feae643ff3c41e60dc408d182d2eca47.jpgScreenshot_20240118_101911_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5b3af7ce864182e85b7f3974ad27d2ab.jpg20240118_093835.thumb.jpg.50dd590617213f34ef1af22b608b2772.jpg

20240118_094110.thumb.jpg.d30f95da886972e812c9ef41922bed62.jpg

There are few recognized VAM's for this date and mintmark, but two of them involve RPD (as in 1892/1892) neither of which your coin exhibits in all the numerals, and the third VAM is for TDO Hair of which with the wear present on your coin, I think would be difficult if not impossible to determine.

While there may be some other lesser known VAM's, they do not appear to be widely recognized and therefore, probably not worth the time of trying to determine on this coin.

While your coin may have a very minor cud, it is too minor of it to be of note to a grader and also would not add any premium to this coin. I think you have some circulation scratches around the 9 and the 8 does appear to have taken a pretty good hit to displace the metal and make it appear to have doubling at the top but there is no evidence of any of the numerals having any form of doubling on this coin.

On 1/18/2024 at 11:58 AM, NeverEnoughCoins09 said:

I believe I have found a cud on the rim, a die crack ... and possible doubling on the 8

Looking at VAMs for this date

I am also seeing a minor rim cud or delamination, scratches instead of die cracks at the date, and just a hit at the "8" in the date.  About the VAMs, are you looking at them for possible varieties, or to authenticate the coin as it appears to already be in a TPG holder, unless that's a similar aftermarket slab.

About the VAMs and varieties, there are only four VAMs or varieties NGC will attribute for a 1892-S Morgan which is a DDO, a TDO and two RPDs where I agree with PM that your coin does not appear to match any of those.  There are other VAMs or minor varieties, but they would not add any value.

If you are looking at VAMs to authenticate the coin there is too much discoloration combined with blurry photos to pick up any die markers, so you would would have to identify them with the coin in-hand.  But it does look like a normal date and mintmark position and orientation to me, which might help narrow the list down if needed.