• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What should I do with "altered surface"?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

I send my coin to NGC and the coin comes back with "not encapsulated altered surface". Is my coin genuine or not? And what should I do? Should I send to NGC again or to PCGS?

Thank you 

Petch

altered surface.png

it is a real coin.  they will not encapsulate it because someone has either worked on the surfaces to remove scratches or other marks or smoothed it out, or made to look better than what it really is.  PCGS will not encapsulate it either.. you may get ICG or ANACS to do it.

On 1/17/2024 at 9:01 AM, PetchCoins said:

Hi,

I send my coin to NGC and the coin comes back with "not encapsulated altered surface". Is my coin genuine or not? And what should I do? Should I send to NGC again or to PCGS?

Thank you 

Petch

altered surface.png

From NGC: "ALTERED SURFACE - The coin's surfaces have been extensively manipulated. For example, a Proof coin that has been altered to appear to be a Mint State coin, or vice versa. This alteration can often make authentication impossible."

Odds are if you send it back to NGC or PCGS that you will get the same result. If this was acquired as a gift or inheritance (in a way where it cost you little to no money) then I would just keep it as is, if you purchased this from someone clamming that it was an authentic problem free coin then I'd try to return it to them and get your money back. 

If you can return the coin to whomever you bought it from that would be your best option.   If you bought this for a specific reason and wish to still keep it then you can always get an inexpensive plastic holder, like a Kointain, and enjoy the coin for what it is.

This is from the NCS Conservation page :

Important Note: Hairline scratches and other surface issues caused by improper cleaning are often disguised with artificial toning or applied substances. Artificial toning and applied substances can be removed by NCS conservation, which will then reveal the improper cleaning underneath. None of NCS’s techniques will cause an “Improperly Cleaned” notation at NGC.

I am not sure if this applies to Altered Surface coins and if NCS Conservation can help with the situation. I have an 8 Reales with this same problem which I am considering sending to NCS to see if anything can be done for it.

As such, I have just sent a request to ask NCS about this situation and I will return to this thread with their answer.

I am back with an answer. I was informed in a response email that NCS conservation cannot help coins with altered surface. They are considered as permanently impaired.

I guess I will have an 8 Reales for sale in the future. It is a shame because it has excellent details. I just don't keep too many impaired coins in my collection.

As for the OP, and others who read this thread in the future, you now know that nothing can be done about Altered Surface coins.