• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

need help on a 1916 D WLH and found this coin but on the reverse there are thin black lines?? any idea?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

IIMG_0746.thumb.jpg.2e527342bec4419ea29f5f8ae429b08b.jpg am looking at filing a hole in my nearly complete walking liberty half dollar set and found a nice 1916 D obv. , but the reverse has these fine dark lines , that I have no idea what they are...the main one starts at the right of the second s in states  travels down through the eagle ending the left talon,  can anyone help me on this before I buy???IMG_0749.jpg.f536e39b563b3ee737946fd5afbb1ddc.jpg

It looks incuse, or going into the coin, and a little jagged.  If that's the case it's likely a lamination crack in the coin, where some gunk has gotten into the crevice over time.  If it's straighter than it looks it could be just a scratch, and if raised it would be something else.

Very hard to tell from the photos provided if it is a scratch in the coin. Are you able to view it in hand or is this an online item? If it is online, I would message the seller first to ask if it is a scratch. If the seller isn't sure themself, make sure the seller has a full return policy because if you get the coin in hand and find out it is a scratch, you want the ability to be able to return the coin to the seller should you want to. Depends on your own standards and what your requirements are. For me, I don't like to get a details coin back from NGC. Some collectors put their coins in an album and they are fine with whatever as long as the hole or slot gets filled. 

It looks like a scratch from the photos to my eye, I suggest that you contact the seller and ask for confirmation before you buy.   If the seller is unable or unwilling to answer your questions, that will in fact answer your question and you should continue to keep looking.

thank you for the feed back, all the seller said is look at the photos which tells me he believes something is wrong and possibly this is counterfeit.  I am not to seasoned but the price was to low for this condition and date.  Not to mention the description was to vague.  

warning to others I suppose. thank you again

On 1/17/2024 at 8:25 AM, capt merry said:

thank you for the feed back, all the seller said is look at the photos which tells me he believes something is wrong and possibly this is counterfeit.  I am not to seasoned but the price was to low for this condition and date.  Not to mention the description was to vague.  

warning to others I suppose. thank you again

What do you bet he got taken in by someone else who wouldn't accept a return and is now trying to get his tuition back?