• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 S penny- Worth sending in to grade?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I have coins that are totally uncirculated but am being told they are not even MS. In some other pics I can see DDO, but am i still getting it wrong? Is it worth sending in to get graded? After visit with local coin shop, I am still way off on grading. lol! Question is referring to the red. Thank you

WIN_20240101_19_06_59_Pro.jpg

Edited by Mooney49

I agree with Greenstang, it is a very nice cent. If you sent it in you may get a Low MS grade but the value will be nowhere near the cost of grading it. I see a stain and some bag marks and I do not know what the reverse looks like 

In reviewing your previous topics, I see that I have already tried to explain to you that you must learn to grade and otherwise evaluate coins yourself before you consider submitting them to third-party grading services and have directed you to resources which should help you to obtain the required knowledge. This is a process that will take you some years of study of these resources and of the coins themselves.

Based upon the single obverse photo of the 1969-S cent you show here, it is not full mint "red" and has several prominent nicks and scratches. (It is definitely not the extremely rare doubled die variety, which features clear, crisp doubling on the obverse date and lettering.) Its approximate grade would be MS 63 RB (red and brown), a grade at which Coin World values it at all of fifteen cents and the NGC Price Guide, which apparently presumes that coins have already been third party graded, shows a retail value of $5.  The minimum "Modern" tier NGC grading fee for this coin would be $19, to which would be added a share of the order's $10 processing fee, the $28 return shipping fee, and the cost of shipping the coin to NGC. Even a full "red" Gem example graded MS 66 RD has an NGC Price Guide value of only $30.  How could it possibly make sense to submit this coin?

The 1969-S cent had a mintage of over 544 million pieces.  The collectors of that era were quite interested in the "S" mint cents of 1968-74 and saved many 5,000-coin mint sealed bags and 50-coin uncirculated rolls of them. Each of the over 1.8 million 1969 "mint sets" also contained a "red" uncirculated example.  I and other young and casual collectors of that time took a number of them out of circulation. Only a superb Gem achieving a grade of at least MS 67 RD (NGC Price Guide value $400) would be worthy of submission.  Even if you had the required knowledge and acquired a mint sealed bag and went through it, you might not find an example that would have a chance of receiving such a lofty grade.  

I strongly encourage you to learn a lot more about coins before you consider submitting any to third-party grading services. Have you attended any coin shows where you could see actual high-grade pieces?   

On 1/16/2024 at 1:27 AM, Mooney49 said:

I have coins that are totally uncirculated but am being told they are not even MS. In some other pics I can see DDO, but am i still getting it wrong? Is it worth sending in to get graded? After visit with local coin shop, I am still way off on grading. lol! Question is referring to the red. Thank you

The simple fact of not posting both sides of the coin makes me think you realize deep down that it's not worth sending in. Otherwise you'd provide the necessary images for people to evaluate. If you are told they are not MS, then you should ask where those saying so see the wear. If you imagine that you see doubled dies (not all of them are of the obverse!), you are almost certainly seeing mechanical doubling, which is very common and adds no value.

If doubled dies and pennies that could gain $50 in value by having them slabbed were as common as people suppose (until they get the ice bath of reality I just gave you), it stands to reason that they would glut the market and be worth nearly nothing.

On 1/16/2024 at 4:27 AM, Mooney49 said:

WIN_20240101_19_06_59_Pro.jpg

How do you know the coin is uncirculated, and who is saying it wouldn't get an MS grade with an explanation of why they think that.

For an MS grade both sides would need to show no signs of wear and have full luster.  There is no pic of the reverse, and the obverse has some darkened areas which may be rub marks that break luster knocking it down to an AU grade.

About a DDO, there is only one 1969-S cent with a doubled die that has any significant value (DDO FS-101), which includes clear doubling of "God", and that is not one of them as Sandon also noted.

You posted no photo of the reverse. Since all I have is the obverse to go off of, what I see is a cent that is partially transitioning to brown so this would be an RB (red-brown). I also see some hits and nicks and under better lighting, I am sure there would be more of these to view. It appears to be uncirculated as I don't see the usual wear on Lincoln's head and bust (the initial obverse wear points on these). It appears to have its original surface so if it were to grade I would say the best this cent could achieve would be an MS 65 RB. Probably closer to an MS 64 RB if more nicks appear in different lighting. At the 65 level, its price guide value is only $10 and a realistic value would be about $5-6 as there is not a big demand for these cents and especially if they are not a full red (RD). The cost of the plastic holder would well exceed the value of the cent.

Being as you admit you are having difficulty recognizing an uncirculated coin, you should get "sending it in for grading" as far out of your head as you can for now until you get your self grading skills down. Get a copy of the current Redbook, as well as a book titled ANA Grading Standards for US Coins, 7th Edition. You need to get your grading skills to a higher level and and become familiar with each coin's series differences as related to wear characteristics before you should even consider submitting anything. For modern coins (1965-present), unless you have a top end specimen, most likely the answer to sending it in for grading is going to be no.