• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roosevelt dime
1 1

34 posts in this topic

Strange things can happen with copper. I have seen many different types of toning on coins. The dime on the left was found in the center of a roll of copper shield cents. Was it toned from being in the same roll or did someone think it was a copper cent and just threw it in the batch of cents to be rolled? There are some questions we will never know the answers to.

20240114_140734.jpg

20240114_140244.jpg

20240114_140303.jpg

Edited by J P M

On 1/13/2024 at 1:53 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

Possibly even an improperly annealed planchet.  The clad layers were thin/ stressed and not properly adhered, then began to basically exchange copper from the center to the outer surfaces.

Please explain: planchet annealing; thickness of CuNi layer; what is meant be "stressed" and "not properly adhered"; what is "exchange copper" ? Be as technical as you wish.

On 1/14/2024 at 12:02 AM, Mike Meenderink said:

Do some research on improperly annealed clad coins then get back to me. Thanks. You and Sandon.

I have done research on improperly annealed coins, and what you described - molecules migrating from the copper core, through the clad layer, to the surface, and doing it while the coin is in circulation, cannot and does not happen.

On 1/13/2024 at 8:46 PM, Just Bob said:

This is the first time I have heard this theory. Can you explain how it is possible for copper to migrate from the middle of the coin to the outside of the clad layer?

It can’t. It’s BS, 100% BS.