• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cosimo I. coin
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hello, 

i would like to know the price and if it is rare coin. I was finding whole day on the internet, but still i found only one from 1/2 Piastra from 1570. Cant even find this one from 1573. 

A901B2C1-1C89-4777-AA66-BD4B96D2E71B.jpeg

A2174FB0-1A24-4C5C-9D0C-FB8917FF7B02.jpeg

From website: (https://www.coingallery.de/KarlV/Medici2_E.htm#5Bb)

image.png.9820d182a7b72da17e2a22e2a91f8f8a.png

Hi, welcome to the forum.  Pictured above,is your coin.  1/2 Piastre as you seem to have surmised. 

The coin below is a higher monetary value coin (testone as compared to a mezza piastre) and in much better shape. 

2 of them are for sale on ebay for $1,100 & $1,200.

[#1175388] Coin, Italy, Cosimo I Medici, Teston, 1570, Florence, Rare, EF, Sil,

image.png.afc5532f3a7cd901b04d8c04c02a586a.png

The value of your coin is hard to determine.  Your coin is quite worn so it would be a hard sell.  I my opinion, collectors tend to focus on coins with less wear.   Keep searching now that you have a bit more info to work with. 

I found the following on Numista :

Italy › Italian States › Tuscany • Lira (1533-1826)

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces391113.html

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces391110.html

I could not find a listing for 1573. It appears there was a 1/2 piastra and a 1 piastra. The differences are in size and weight. The 1/2 piastra is 36mm and weighs approximately 15.59g. The 1 piastra is 40mm and weighs about 32.46g. The reverse of yours is of the 1/2 piastra as correctly noted by @cobymordet and shows several figures on the reverse. The 1 piastra has a single figure on the reverse.

There seems to be no photos of a 1573 1/2 piastra nor could I find any auction results for this said coin. It seems to be quite scarce so even in its current condition, it should still be quite valuable yet, its price would be hard to pin down so I won't throw out any kind of a figure for it.

I would say the absence of photos for it would be due to the fact that no one has submitted a photo of a 1573. Being Cosimo I was the Grand Duke from 1569-1574, it would follow that coinage of this type would continue past 1572. You might be able to inquire on Numista further about the coin and possibly submit your photo there as there is a function on their website to do so.

Similar period coins in pretty good condition seem to go for under about $100, and in raw worn condition under around $20.  So I can't see this 1573 Tuscany 1/2 Piastra coin being worth very much in that condition unless you found two people who just had to have that year for that particular coin, which doesn't seem very likely at all.  Maybe @JKK who is a more familiar with ancients could chime in here.