• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PL and DPL Washington Quarters
1 1

18 posts in this topic

I am always interested in other collectors and their collections of DPL and PL Washington Quarters. I focus on Type 2 Clads 65'-98' but I love the earlier pre-65' Washington PLs. Please check out the following stunning 1996-D example. 

Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 5.39.39 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 5.43.34 PM.png

Edited by PL/DPL Washington
clarification

There are PL coins in all series and from most years after about 1860. The real difficulty is that TPGs have not recognized them until recently. These are the result of normal die maintenance and repair.

Edited by RWB

Thanks very much for the information, I find these very appealing and really enjoy the search for graded examples. There are only a few DPL 65'-98' Washington Quarter examples eluding me but I am patient and hoping to find more of the 65'-87' PLs in this quest. This MS68PL will be hard for me to top. I greatly appreciate the comment.

Best Regards

Until about 1915, collectors also have to contend with authentic proof coins that were put into circulation either as mint rejects or intentionally by purchasers.

Posted (edited)

Agreed! I should have purchased some excellent examples of MSPL nickels a few years back, I will have to remedy that. Someday I will obtain a few of the MSPL examples of the earlier quarters to add to my collection. My 1951-s MS66 PL Washington cost a fair bit  (in my world) but was well worth it to gain a good 50s example. At least those earlier Washington PLs have had more of a "who did it and where did they do it?" mystery factor to them. I still hunt for nice, primarily 40s examples that show the appropriate die polish marks. I decided that since I had not, at the time, seen a lot of attention given to these MSPL and especially MSDPL quarters that it presented a great opportunity for me to focus on with some uniqueness to it. I think if I have done anything unusual it is that I have been able to compile a fairy solid run of the MSPL and a nearly complete (based on the NGC census) MSDPL run from primarily 87'-98'.

Edited by PL/DPL Washington
clarification

On 1/6/2024 at 7:46 PM, PL/DPL Washington said:

I think if I have done anything unusual it is that I have been able to compile a fairy solid run of the MSPL and a nearly complete (based on the NGC census) MSDPL run from primarily 87'-98'.

You can't post something like that without showing pictures. :wink:

Thanks very much for that! I have been really amazed that I have been able to nearly complete my DPL Type 2 Clad effort. Getting these under one roof has been a journey. I love doing a DPL and PL centric Competitive set. Thanks for the encouragement! I hope my custom set of Type 2 Clad PL and DPL is a useful resource as well for folks interested in these. Someone out there has a MS65DPL 92-D' that is my only remaining DPL gap at this point. :)

Have you thought about doing an NGC Registry Set for your Washington Quarters?  They have circulation issue sets for 1932-1998 (149 coins) and 1965-1998 (65 coins).  Although they don't have sets specifically for PL/DPL coins it might be a good way to track and/or showcase the coins you have in your collection.

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive/united-states/quarter-dollars/

Yes absolutely. I haven't done a Competitive Set for the 32'-98 series but my PL DPLs are in the 65'-98' sets and I do have a Custom Set as well showing the full run of my coins. Thanks very much for the comment.

https://www.ngccoin.com/profile/871796/competitive-sets/?countryID=142&categoryID=4&setTypeID=38&page=1

https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/wcm/CoinCustomSetView.aspx?s=33973