• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972d Cent
1 1

5 posts in this topic

This coin is a bit worn, but the IGWT seems doubled a bit.  'IN' and 'RU' seem clearest to me and some of the other letters seem a bit fat.  Unfortunately, the positioning of the doubling does not match either of the Variety Plus varieties for the D coin.  But, when I checked Wexler DD's, (1972-D 1¢ WDDO-002) seems to fit the bill. 

The only marker to help verify is the 'O': "Stage A: O is weak, but complete / Stage B: the top of O is incomplete.  My O is weak at the top, but intact.  Possibly in between stage A and B?  Any ideas?

image.png.e668caf068085bbde5ba0d409c57588f.png

72d.DDO.O.jpg

72d.DDO.R.jpg

My eyes are not that good, sorry. I would need a better closeup of what you are looking at to be able to say anything about it.

After viewing your photos under maximum magnification, your 1972-D Lincoln cent does appear to be a minor doubled die variety. The secondary images on the motto and "LIBERTY" appear to be crisp and raised in some areas, and there is some "notching" between the images. I'm not sure that it is the same variety as the WDDO-002 variety on doubleddie.com, which I think is also the same variety shown on NGC VarietyPlus as VP-002. See Lincoln Cents, Memorial Reverse (1959-2008) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com). It is at least similar.

Sandon, It is definitely weak and the coin has been used and abused a bit.  From what I saw of the NGC Variety Plus VP-002, the doubling was to the right as opposed to my coin being to the left.  Am I being to literal in thinking the doubling should specifically follow the photos associated?  I hope this makes sense, I may not be explaining myself correctly.  In the end, being as minor as it is, it is almost a moot point, but YAH for me, I have finally found a US DD coin.  LOL, It only took 25k+ pennies to get it.  Good thing my father informed me he has another 18k pennies for me!

VV shows 6 DDO's for this date/mm, all are minor.   But I think your coin is a match for DDO-002, I cannot tell from the photos which stage it might fall under.