• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speaking of Nickels. . .
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I was slopping through some nickels and noticed (what I would call) flaring around the letters of some 62's.  I found 4 62's with varying degrees of "flare" across all letters on OBV and REV and 2 62's with no "flare".  There is most likely a more appropriate term than "flare" to describe this effect. It's a slow day for me and I was just curious what would cause this.

image.png.18caf09f797baeb247302cd813f4ea70.png

N.62d.AO.jpg

N.62d.AR.jpg

Die deterioration which causes some of the metal to seep under lettering of the die under pressure.

Always a multi-syllabic term to fall back on.  LOL, flare has a bit more flare for me.  Thanks for the clarification!

Not the DD you want. No doubled die. No Dunkin Donuts either. xD

That ski slope mushy look to it is die deterioration.

i figured it was nothing special, just never noticed it before.  I think it is an interesting artistic effect though.

Just as an fyi, a coin with evidence of die deterioration will still straight grade as long as it has its original surfaces. What I do not know for sure (I suspect it will) that the grade would be a point or two lower than if it had a clear, crisp strike. Maybe someone here knows that 100%.