• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found my first W Quarter
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I found my first W Quarter today. 2019 Weir Farm. Circulated of course. Going through my buddies change jar. Grading it myself I put a $1 to $2 value on it. Anyways I gave my buddy $2 for it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194702312939?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=2GiCLgvZS0q&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=c-fotiubrf-&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

But is this for real? 

Or this? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233908470860?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=ZAvA5KoVRwO&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=c-fotiubrf-&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Should I have given my buddy a few bucks more?

Nice find, and nice of your friend to let you go through their change jar.

Looks like these are going for around $10 on ebay, raw, in decent shape. I'd at least slip him a fin. 

I will first address your two links. As usual, they can ask those amounts. It doesn't mean those will sell for those amounts.

As for the quarter in question, I cannot remark on what you gave to your friend for it without seeing clear, cropped photos of both sides of the coin. Since you state it is circulated, it could have wear, nicks, scratches, etc. that we cannot see and possibly the $2 was a fair offer for it.

Glad to see your friend let you view the contents of the jar, and also let you buy the coin from him. He could have just as easily said he would rather keep it for himself.

My buddy isn't a coin collector. He floated me his morgan money clip. It's beat pretty good. I would think this would be a junk silver coin for about silver melt and $30. Just a beginner guess. 

DSC02152.png

DSC02151.png

Thanks for the additional pics! Makes it much easier than trying to guess what took place.

I tried to take a pic with my phone and blow up your pic of the "dirt" and that spot looks incuse to me. Is it?

Let's for a minute assume that is just on the surface and will come off and is not actual damage. Taking with a grain of salt as much optimism as possible, this coin has some surface staining on both sides which could or could not be removed with conservation practices, overall has light circulation wear putting it in the AU range, and has some distracting circulation marks on the obverse portrait, especially in the hair and across the cheek and neck, with an additional hit at the base of the neck in the center.

The NGC price guide is not showing any prices below MS 63 and I could only imagine that values would drop precipitously each grade point below that and even more so once at AU.

In my humble opinion, I think for the coin in this condition that the $2 was a fair amount for the coin.

You posted another coin in the middle of me typing a response to your quarter. This is why we ask people who post to put each coin in its own thread to avoid confusion.

I am not sure how the Morgan was a money clip as I see no "grip" attached to its surface, but either way, a common Morgan in that condition would definitely be a low ball value close to melt.