• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coins in the Smithsonian

13 posts in this topic

I am wondering Roger if there is a way to know where the Smithsonian Lafayette Dollar came from?

As you showed above the first coin went to the President of the United States who then sent it to the President of France. Is the above example that coin?

rg104entry229box106_0543.png.d6985ed6745c51f8eb36c153db413f57.png

Combination of the two letters shows the #1 coin went from the Mint Director to the President to the Secretary of State (John Hay, President Lincoln's personal secretary) who will hand it to Robert J. Thompson who will present it to the President of France (Émile François Loubet).

The Smithsonian accession journal should include this information. (I suspect it was presented by Robert Thompson, Secretary of the Commission. Coin orders were handled by him.)

Thanks Roger,

Dummy me, I already had an image in my Lafayette Dollar Image File:

InSmithsonianSlabObv.png.ee8e79f21b728c1092e8925309dfa824.png

Lafayette Dollar in the Smithsonian Institute. National Museum of American History Collections.

Can the Smithsonian sell coins they "own" ?  Have they done it in the past ?

Maybe where they have duplicates of the same coin, year, mint ?

I believe the CT Museum/Historical Society sold a few Saints over the decades.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

The Boston Museum of Fine Arts sold off most of its coins 30 years ago -- this included the ONLY pattern 1908 $5, which had been donated by Bigelow to the Museum. The coin was unknown until my research and nobody knows where it is now. It will seem distinctive only to someone who understands what to look for.

As for SI, I think they loan items, but do not sell them. They got burned on the fakes that JJ Ford and Stacks foisted off on them with the Lilly collection.

Edited by RWB

On 1/5/2024 at 4:58 PM, RWB said:

-- this included the ONLY pattern 1908 $5, which had been donated by Bigelow to the Museum. The coin was unknown until my research and nobody knows where it is now....

[When in doubt, defer to the Great z.  There is nothing he isn't privy to and hasn't lost a dime to any investment he's committed himself to.]  🤣

On 1/8/2024 at 4:11 PM, Henri Charriere said:

[When in doubt, defer to the Great z.  There is nothing he isn't privy to and hasn't lost a dime to any investment he's committed himself to.]  🤣

If you're going to buy, know what you're buying or trust the seller.

On 1/5/2024 at 4:58 PM, RWB said:

The Boston Museum of Fine Arts sold off most of its coins 30 years ago -- this included the ONLY pattern 1908 $5, which had been donated by Bigelow to the Museum. The coin was unknown until my research and nobody knows where it is now. It will seem distinctive only to someone who understands what to look for.

As for SI, I think they loan items, but do not sell them. They got burned on the fakes that JJ Ford and Stacks foisted off on them with the Lilly collection.

It is interesting to note that some of the coins in the Lilly collection tax deal were fakes. I was too young to have enough money to have any dealings with JJ Ford, but I read about some of the his shenanigans in the Eric P. Newman biography that Heritage published. Collectors from my father's generation told me that you had to watch you step when you make deals with Ford. 

On 1/9/2024 at 4:08 PM, BillJones said:

It is interesting to note that some of the coins in the Lilly collection tax deal were fakes. I was too young to have enough money to have any dealings with JJ Ford, but I read about some of the his shenanigans in the Eric P. Newman biography that Heritage published. Collectors from my father's generation told me that you had to watch you step when you make deals with Ford. 

Good book - it is worth reading.

Fun to write, too! Eric and Evelyn were special people.