• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Top Numismatic Acquisitions of 2023

15 posts in this topic

On 12/27/2023 at 1:26 PM, coinsandmedals said:

Wow, 2023 was a particularly productive numismatic year. Not only did I attend FUN for the first time, but I also took the opportunity to attend the Token Congress after spending a few days exploring all that London had to offer. Although I did not buy much, I made several new friends and thoroughly enjoyed the varied lectures while sipping on a pint of true English ale. In sum, I added well north of a hundred new pieces to my collection. Of those, 11 came from the Watt Jr. Collection, and 3 resided in the Boulton family holdings. There is something very cool about owning a piece that once belonged to the proprietors of the Soho Mint for nearly two centuries before making its way to the market. I am pushing the boundaries of brevity, but since I have not posted here much lately, I opted to share my top 30 acquisitions from 2023. These are presented in the order in which I purchased them. Please note that in almost every instance, the marks you see in the photo are on the holder.

Of the 30 pieces below, only 4 were not struck at the Soho Mint. Can you figure out which ones?

1803 Ireland Wexford Enniscorthy Halfpenny – Ex. James Watt Jr. – NGC PF-66 BN

1. 1800 Ireland Wexford Enniscorthy D&H2 Bronzed Proof Halfpenny With Shells Ex Watt Jr.jpg

1791 England Hampshire Portsmouth Halfpenny – Ex. Boulton Family – NGC MS-63 BN

2. 1791 Hampshire Portsmouth D&H-89 Proof Halfpenny Ex. Boulton MGC MS-63 Bn.jpg

1803 Madras 1 Cash Bronzed Proof - Ex. Puddester Collection – NGC PF-65 BN

3. 1803 Madras 1 Cash NGC PF-65 BN.jpg

1792 France 5 Sol Maz-145 - PCGS MS-64 BN

4. 1792 France 5 Sol Maz-145 PCGS MS-64 BN.jpg

Very fine line-up!  Of note, the date on the obverse of the 4th  piece, [14 July 1790] marks the first anniversary of the French Revolution. I would guess the French coins, and the Irish penny were not products of the Soho Mint.  (Incidentally, an asterisk should appear next to the reference to FUN, and a note a la Sandon reading: "Attendance courtesy of Mrs. Spud.")  🤣

On 12/27/2023 at 1:08 PM, Henri Charriere said:

I would guess the French coins, and the Irish penny were not products of the Soho Mint.

I will forgo any discussion of the French pieces until others have had ample time to guess, but I likely should have been more specific in the language I opted to use for the Irish Penny. If following Peck's classification this would likely fall under the "Late Soho" category, as it was probably struck at the Soho Mint at a much later date than indicated on the coin. The term "Restrike" is typically reserved for pieces struck at a later date using retouched Soho Mint dies, but not by the Soho Mint (i.e., Taylor). The waters get a bit murky as you dive deeper. 

On 12/27/2023 at 1:26 PM, coinsandmedals said:

1800 George III Preserved from Assassination Medal

Wow - what great acquisitions. I was possibly the underbidder for the 1800 (assassination), maybe it was another. I put it out of my memory.

The 1773 Virginia half penny is a 25 M correct?

So many nice ones, I am not sure which one is my favorite. Well done.

Edited by Zebo

On 12/27/2023 at 3:23 PM, Zebo said:

Wow - what great acquisitions. I was possibly the underbidder for the 1800 (assassination), maybe it was another. I put it out of my memory.

The 1773 Virginia half penny is a 25 M correct?

So many nice ones, I am not sure which one is my favorite. Well done.

Thank you! So you're the one who bid me up on the medal? :roflmao:

Yes, the Virginia piece is a 25M. I had a blast attributing that coin - it brought back fond memories from EAC days. 

Amazing pieces!  As you can probably guess I am especially taken by the Conder tokens!  Yes, 2023 was very good thanks to Baldwin's, I added over 100 tokens to my collection :)

On 12/27/2023 at 2:08 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Very fine line-up!  Of note, the date on the obverse of the 4th  piece, [14 July 1790] marks the first anniversary of the French Revolution. I would guess the French coins, and the Irish penny were not products of the Soho Mint. 🤣