• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1941 Lincoln Wheat Penny Lettering Oddity
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hello all! New subscriber / first time post. So I recently came across a 1941 Lincoln wheat penny that appears to have the word “LIBERTY” misspelled (see pictures attached). What’s your take on this? Is this a US mint production error, or damage done to the coin after the fact? Thank you all for your time and thoughts in advance :-)IMG_0251.jpeg.3eed82e80b66aae2d3485596f13101d5.jpegIMG_0248.jpeg.a744b69d50c525d467adf0c8cdb5cb6b.jpegIMG_0249.jpeg.2c3c00babee27f87b80dba5c1cad8dd3.jpegIMG_0250.jpeg.4ebe9571747af410cc0b1119907f46fa.jpeg

Edited by RowdyDallasFan22
Grammar error

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Well, I notice a big hit on the L and also on the E. I would also say the I took a big hit and it pushed the metal to the side. It looks like the height of the I is lower than the adjacent letters so I just think the metal got pushed to the side when it took a hit.

Sans the full pictures of both sides of the coin, from the photos provided it appears also to be a well worn coin.

I would say this is just circulation damage and nothing more.

On 12/27/2023 at 1:27 PM, powermad5000 said:

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Well, I notice a big hit on the L and also on the E. I would also say the I took a big hit and it pushed the metal to the side. It looks like the height of the I is lower than the adjacent letters so I just think the metal got pushed to the side when it took a hit.

Sans the full pictures of both sides of the coin, from the photos provided it appears also to be a well worn coin.

I would say this is just circulation damage and nothing more.

The I of Liberty does not have enough raised metal to take a hit and displace that much metal without showing serious deformity of the initial I.   The photo from the op shows the left side of the I to be full and distinct, and the area of extra metal between the I and B is raised to almost the same level (or above) as the I was when struck.    It could not be that clear, distinct and raised from a hit to displace the amount of metal that is now in between the I and B.   To move that much metal the I would have to have been obliterated, either extra metal was added to fake an error or it is a die chip.

This is an L on edge (very common) with a die chip next to the I (very common). The L took no hit it is literally concave as it was struck with crappy tilted dies which left it running up the edge to the rim.. The dies for these coins often failed in these areas the mint just rolled with it. Nothing special sorry.

Edited by Mike Meenderink