• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Help Understanding Coin Valuation
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Hello and Happy Holidays,

I am very new to coins and finally getting around to going through my coin collection and want to give it a valuation. Once set of coins in the collection is a 2000-P Goodacre Presentation Sacagawea Dollar. Where I am completely confused, is when you look up this coin online, you get a range of value from $5.00 to $1000 plus. What am I missing to understand this large discrepancy in values. I look at the descriptions and images on all these sites, and I am not seeing any differences.

I appreciate your time,

JR

IMG_8253.jpg

IMG_8254.JPG

IMG_8255.JPG

It is hard to say ungraded may be worth $1 to $5 each in a Third party slab a MS68 may be worth $40 to $80. There are many of these out there already graded for cheap money. In the original roll it may be worth more to a collector.

Edited by J P M

Welcome to the NGC chat board.    

Your inquiry is confusing because along with a photo of the obverse of a coin that may or may not be the rare "Goodacre Presentation" version of the 2000-P Sacagawea dollar, you show photos of a mint roll that would contain ordinary 2000-D pieces, of which nearly 519 million were struck. Both these and the ordinary 2000-P pieces (over 767 million struck) are only worth face value in circulated or low mint state grades and only worth a significant premium if certified in gem mint state grades.  A regular 2000-P Sacagawea dollar graded MS 66 has a retail list value of $12.50 on the NGC Price Guide, whereas a Goodacre Presentation piece in SP 66 lists $375. The PCGS Price Guide shows higher prices.  It appears that most of these coins are now in PCGS holders, and a few have been certified by NGC as well. See https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/2000-p-sac-1-goodacre-presentation/995842000 P GOODACRE PRESENTATION $1 SP | Coin Explorer | NGC (ngccoin.com)

On 12/25/2023 at 8:43 AM, DCBUS said:

Where I am completely confused, is when you look up this coin online, you get a range of value from $5.00 to $1000 plus. What am I missing to understand this large discrepancy in values.

If you post links to these sold coin listings someone can likely assist in explaining the difference.

Hello,

I apologize for the late reply. I understand now with the help of this forum, thank you. The coins with the high value are all certified. It looks like many are trying to sell non certified versions for the high value, but now understanding that there were only 5000 of the high value coins made. 

Thank you JR

Sadly it is not uncommon for unscrupulous sellers trying to misrepresent a coin for sale online (or trying to sell counterfeits) and listing them for astronomical prices. That is probably what you are seeing for non-certified examples of these with extremely high asking prices.

On 12/28/2023 at 6:58 AM, DCBUS said:

Hello,

I apologize for the late reply. I understand now with the help of this forum, thank you. The coins with the high value are all certified. It looks like many are trying to sell non certified versions for the high value, but now understanding that there were only 5000 of the high value coins made. 

Thank you JR

Just one more example of the eBay scam enabling fraud engine.

On 12/28/2023 at 6:58 AM, DCBUS said:

It looks like many are trying to sell non certified versions for the high value, but now understanding that there were only 5000 of the high value coins made. 

Thank you JR

It is important to remember that all 5,000 of the coins were encapsulated. The first 3,000 were sold for $200 apiece to collectors who, we assume, bought them solely because of the Goodacre providence.  The remaining 2000 were bought by a dealer, crossed to PCGS for grading and encapsulation, and then sold, probably for at least that amount and possibly more. It is highly likely that every collector who bought one was aware that the value lay solely in the fact that their coin once belonged to Ms. Goodacre, and that removing it from the slab would destroy the value. Human nature being what it is, it is possible that a few coins were removed from their holders by collectors who hate having their coins entombed in plastic. But I would guess that 99.9% of the coins are still in a holder from one of the three major grading services. Any coin claiming to be a Goodacre piece and being sold raw has to be assumed to be either a coin struck from new or freshly polished dies, or one that has been buffed to imitate a presentation piece. Either way, I would run from those as fast as I could.

On a related note: if anyone sees Skip Fazzari at FUN, or on another coin forum, would you ask him if he was involved in authenticating these coins? Someone at ICG discovered that there were two different types of finish, and I was wondering if it was he who discovered it

On 12/29/2023 at 8:19 AM, Just Bob said:

It is important to remember that all 5,000 of the coins were encapsulated. The first 3,000 were sold for $200 apiece to collectors who, we assume, bought them solely because of the Goodacre providence.  The remaining 2000 were bought by a dealer, crossed to PCGS for grading and encapsulation, and then sold, probably for at least that amount and possibly more. It is highly likely that every collector who bought one was aware that the value lay solely in the fact that their coin once belonged to Ms. Goodacre, and that removing it from the slab would destroy the value. Human nature being what it is, it is possible that a few coins were removed from their holders by collectors who hate having their coins entombed in plastic. But I would guess that 99.9% of the coins are still in a holder from one of the three major grading services. Any coin claiming to be a Goodacre piece and being sold raw has to be assumed to be either a coin struck from new or freshly polished dies, or one that has been buffed to imitate a presentation piece. Either way, I would run from those as fast as I could.

On a related note: if anyone sees Skip Fazzari at FUN, or on another coin forum, would you ask him if he was involved in authenticating these coins? Someone at ICG discovered that there were two different types of finish, and I was wondering if it was he who discovered it

There are at least two distinctive finishes on early date Sacs, NOT INCLUDING the proofs. There is a frosty highly detailed finish, and then there is a very shiny/glossy finish that looks a bit mushy in the finest details. And that is just among the circulation intended coins, to say nothing of any special varieties such as Goodacre, Cheerios, or even NASA shuttle flown. 

Edited by VKurtB